• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss RCBO trip test query - Testing wrong or is there a fault? in the Looking for Domestic Electricians? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Robert M.

New EF Member
Hi,

Can anyone please explain why my friend's 30mA trip RCBOs passes the trip test (e.g. x5 is less than 40ms) when the test is done at the consumer unit but fails when the test is done at the sockets.

Is he doing something wrong or is there a fault somewhere (the RCBO or the circuit?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Flanders

Regular EF Member
If there is any load on the circuit then you can get false readings
Rcds should be tested with no load in the circuit.

Flanders

Regular EF Member
I beleave its the way the tester works to simulate the fault , if there is already leakage on the circuit, for example a fridge or computers , thats when the tester gives the false readings .

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Are you not testing the actual RCD, not the circuitry?

stevethesparks

Electrician's Arms
Yes, if there are other loads you might expect the rcd/rcbo to trip before its supposed to due to the cumulative effect, but there are also times when they won't trip at all when tested end of circuit.

UNG

Forum Mentor
I would suggest ramp testing the RCD

Had this problem a little while ago fitted a new consumer unit and everything tested ok, went back 6 months later to do some additional work and the RCD would not trip on the 1x test and the 5x result was a bit close to the limit when tested at a socket same tests at the CU gave satisfactory results although I was not too happy so decided to ramp test at the CU and the socket and both results were very similar with an indicated trip current of 35ma. The result after a phone call to the manufacturer was a replacement RCD in the post

I now always ramp test RCD's before any other tests and I have had quite a few that trip above the rated tripping current

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.