Discuss RCBO Trip Times in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes. The X1 should be below 300ms and the X5 should be below 40ms. I don't know how or why your X5 is higher than your X1??? I've never come accross this before and i've done this test 1000's of times. was the test carried out on both cycles? what were the other two X1 & X5 readings?

Is it a new tester. Are you sure it wasn't 187ms???

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. The X1 should be below 300ms and the X5 should be below 40ms. I don't know how or why your X5 is higher than your X1??? I've never come accross this before and i've done this test 1000's of times. was the test carried out on both cycles? what were the other two X1 & X5 readings?

Thanks....

No, I just tested against 1 and 5, noted the times and thought they were within the Regs.....only when I got home did I notice they were the wrong way around. Absolutely sure I didn't write them down wrongly as I have a crib sheet I write them into as I go.

I'll check again tomorrow.

Is it a new tester. Are you sure it wasn't 187ms???

No, 3 years old Megger 1552.

....sorry, should say that it's a brand new Hager RCBO, type B. I've not seen this before either.

Maybe I should sober up and try it again tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
just had this myself??

Doing an Industrial PIR. Got a new hager 3 phase dist with 2 16A 30ma sigle phase RCBO's installed in it. The trip times are odd, when tested at 1X trip time is 8ms, when tested at 5X trip time is 28ms. trip times are also the same with another meter?? anyone know why?

may be stating the obvious but I assume that you tested at both 0 degrees and 180 degrees. I have often had say the highest 1x at 0 degrees and the highest 5x at 180 degrees. have also seen people who have been lazy and just tested at whatever the meter was on last, which can give funnies like what you have.

also tested a contactum rcd the other day that was around 20ms on 1x and over 40ms on 5x but when the 'push to test' button was pushed and the rcd retested the results were same 20ms on 1x but then 18ms on 5x and that was repeated on a second test. my conclusion was to replace the rcd.

done on 0 and 180 both the same, my normal meter is a megger MFC 1552 so tried with another meter more or less the same about 0.3 - 0.5 ms diff ?? Have contated hager to see if they can help?

had a reply from hager as follows:

Dear Sir,
The single module rcbo's are an electronically assisted
device which are calibrated for the 100% test.
Providing that both the 100% test & 150mamp test are
within the tripping times of the BSEN 61009 when tested in
accordance with the 17th regulations then the devices are perfectly
acceptable.

Regards Tom

Hager Technical Support UK
Hager Ltd
Hortonwood 50
TELFORD, Shropshire
TF1 7FT
United Kingdom
[email protected]
tel 0870 607 6677
fax 01952 675557

so put this in the PIR and happy days!!

Folks,

Tested an RCBO today on a 16A 2.5mm spur......the 1 time was 18.7ms and the 5 time was 39ms. You'd normally expect the 5 time to be quicker/lower yes?
Came across this a lot lately!!!!The new rcbos all varie! but all within trip times .the x1 often higher than x5 norm 18.5 x1 and 18.7 x5 .This more than make the trip times so no problems!!!!!!you can only put down what u get!!!!!!These rcbos are all WYlex that i test.

Try the new WYlex rcbos also done this test millions of times!!!! Then come back and say that!!!!x1 is sometimes higher than x5 iam testing both sides!!!!! And the other 15 guys all get the same!!!! If it trips in time ,what's the problem ?quicker not better????????

Reply to RCBO Trip Times in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net