Discuss RCBO tripping next door RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think the OP needs to decide,if he is wanting to test the RCD's or the RCD's and their associated circuits.

You most likely have a poor neutral somewhere, so some of that neutral current is finding another path via the earthing system.
you need an electrician to check the neutrals and earths.One is sure to be dodgy.

Just thinking about some possible scenarios, not with any valid basis behind them, but if the resistances of a particular fault are just right then it could be possible to get similar, but perhaps not the same, effects as described in the OP. Though it is just off the cuff thoughts.
View attachment 48134
Always a joy to behold your drawings RB !
Yes, IR testing should reveal a N-E problem and that will likely be the cause of the tripping.

Just thinking about some possible scenarios, not with any valid basis behind them, but if the resistances of a particular fault are just right then it could be possible to get similar, but perhaps not the same, effects as described in the OP. Though it is just off the cuff thoughts.
View attachment 48134

Your diagram to the right is what happened. Great diagram.

Perhaps I need to do some more IR testing N-E it could be an appliance perhaps...

This same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. It was very confusing. I went home, came back the next day refreshed and figured it out.

Have you done any IR tests? You need to see if one (or more) circuits have IR faults. My RCD would not trip when tested with the conductors all in place but when I disconnected them the RCD tripped as it should when tested, therefore you know there is no fault with the RCD. Two of the circuits tested as 0Mohms N-E. I found the fault(s) reconnected everything and the RCD passed the tests.

For some reason, on rare occasions, a N-E IR fault can actually stop the RCD from working. I don't know why.
The RCD operates if there is an imbalance in the voltages coming in on the live conductor and going out on the neutral conductor.So if there is N-E fault implies that some of the voltage from the neutral conductor is diverted to the earth conductor and the RCD will sense that imbalance and trip.

forgive me for sounding dense. I'm from the southern hemisphere but I've worked in the UK.
You have 2 rings, 1 upstairs and one down stairs?
in theory no problem. so long as the 2 rings are guaranteed separate and each ring has no crossed over phases and neutrals.
If there are neutrals or phases somehow getting connected into the other ring = problem
crossover round the ring somewhere = problem
neutral or phase from totally another circuit = problem
an unterminated spur = problem

Are all your earths in the right places?
an RCD will trip when the phase and neutral currents are not in balance. Is there a return path through an earth somewhere

Testing an RCD on one rfc upstairs tripped the upstairs and downstairs circuis, which was the RCBO next door to it. Turned off the power to all circuits tested downstairs RCBO on its own RCD failed 1x and 5x tests. Disconnected conductors from this RCBO tested RCD at the board worked ok. Put cables back in failed RCD tests. Removed every fuse from every fuse spur and disconnected all plugs etc. Tested ok. Put all the fuses back and all plugs switched on tested again all ok. went upstairs tested rcbo tripped individually. madness ?
A common problem when installing RCBOs where previously there were only RCDs is "borrowed" or common neutrals. I would suggest checking for continuity of neutrals in different circuits, after disconnecting from DB.

Reply to RCBO tripping next door RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock