Discuss RCBO Tripping. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

EoDM

Hi all i'm after a bit of advice. (2nd year apprentice..)
I recently done a bit of work in a flat and replaced the old fuse CU. The cable for the socket outlet that was supplying the boiler and the washing machine (which are in the bathroom, small flat) was just spared off from the ring main for the sockets.
So I disconnected the cable and pulled another in into the new CU and wired it into an B type 20amp 30ma RCBO.
When I came to turn on I checked the socket by plugging in the drill charger and it trips. I turned all other breakers off and tried again and still trips. I think it may be an earth fault? Not sure how i'd go about finding the fault that is causing it to trip.

Hope that all didn't sound to stupid and someone could give me some advice!?

Cheers

Hmm thanks, I will try it in the morning. But it's just the 1 run which is about 5 metres away of 2.5mm t&e going from the rcbo to the breaker, and the floorboards arn't back on yet so no nails etc could of pierced the cable or what have you.

I do you still have both the boiler and socket on the new run? If so does it only trip with the socket ? Also From what you are saying it only trips when you turn the socket on or when you plug something in regardless of switch position

The only thing on the run is the socket. Yeah it will trip only when the socket is switched on and that was with a drill battery charger and tried it with the boiler plugged in.

sounds like a neutral to earth fault to me ,disconnect the conductors and un plug the appliances and do a continuity test between the conductors and see if you have a reading if not then do an IR test , you say they are in the bathroom ,

I've checked my connections and the cable run. Although it wasnt't a new socket i was wiring into it was the existing but I have only visualy inspected it and it seems ok no damage.
As for the neutral there is only 1 bar on the consumer unit? and the neutral from the cable and the rcbo are both connected onto that. The FE is connected to the earth bar aswell.
Won't be able to preform any testing on it today on a different job! Thanks for all the replys aswell.

P.S on a brighter note passed my 2330 yesterday. Bring on next year! (thought i'd share that, ha)

I've checked my connections and the cable run. Although it wasnt't a new socket i was wiring into it was the existing but I have only visualy inspected it and it seems ok no damage.
As for the neutral there is only 1 bar on the consumer unit? and the neutral from the cable and the rcbo are both connected onto that. The FE is connected to the earth bar aswell.
Won't be able to preform any testing on it today on a different job! Thanks for all the replys aswell.

P.S on a brighter note passed my 2330 yesterday. Bring on next year! (thought i'd share that, ha)

Surely the neutral from your circuit should be connected into the RCBO not the neutral bar in the cu.

Sorry, yeah the neutral from the circuit IS connected into the rcbo and the rcbo neutral is connected into the neutral bar.

Reply to RCBO Tripping. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock