Discuss RCBO trips different RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just change a CU and installed RCBO's. There is a 32a SP RCBO suppling a ring final circuit. There is a 6a SP RCBO radial lighting circuit. When the 6a radial circuit is energised the 32a RCBO trips. With the 6a dead the 32a stays in.
I expected to find a shared neutral but there is no continuity between the neutrals and no continuity between the lives.

Hi - as per Charlie, I suspect the two circuits are connected :) .
Thats what I thought but I get infinate continuity between line of 6a and line of 32a. Infinite continuity between neutral of 6a and neutral of 32a. I also tested between line of 6a and neutral of 32a, and between line of 32a and neutral of 6a with same results.

Hi guys, well I'm back looking at this issue again. I cannot prove a shared neutral no matter what test I run but have found some weird ---- going on. With all light switches off both circuits will stay in but switch a light on and sometimes the 32a will trip sometimes it stays in, it will usually trip when I switch on a second but it doesn'tseem to matter which lights I pick. If I press the test button on any of the other 8 RCBO'S the 32a RCBO in question trips as well. Also when I arrived the 32a had tripped over night.

Hi guys, well I'm back looking at this issue again. I cannot prove a shared neutral no matter what test I run but have found some weird **** going on. With all light switches off both circuits will stay in but switch a light on and sometimes the 32a will trip sometimes it stays in, it will usually trip when I switch on a second but it doesn'tseem to matter which lights I pick. If I press the test button on any of the other 8 RCBO'S the 32a RCBO in question trips as well. Also when I arrived the 32a had tripped over night.
What tests have you conducted? I cannot access your profile, so we cant ascertain what if any experience or qualifications in the electrical field you hold, so it makes it doubly difficult to tailor any advice or answers, telling you to get an electrician in would be crass unless we know your limitations.

What tests have you conducted? I cannot access your profile, so we cant ascertain what if any experience or qualifications in the electrical field you hold, so it makes it doubly difficult to tailor any advice or answers, telling you to get an electrician in would be crass unless we know your limitations.
I'm got my inspection and testing tickets. I've done all the standard tests as well as loads of continuity test between the different circuits (neutral to neutral, etc) I also did a insulation resistance between the neutrals, achieving a reading of 185M ohms.
It did just trip when I energised a third circuit.

As Strima said check for loose neutrals,
Another favorite when people change boards for split phase CUs are having the neautrals on the wrong neutral links as they only trip when start adding load to them. The number of my sparky freinds that call me with this problem
If not this then Have you done IR test between the neutrals and the CPCs of the affected circiuts, i have had it before where a voltage exceeding 50 volts has been present on the CPC of a circuit that wasnt even connected and when all connected in to new RCD loaded CU has identified the problem thet as the custer tries to say "There wasnt a problem before you touched it" errm "yes it was its just RCDs will find issues no previously apparent"
:mad:

Reply to RCBO trips different RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock