Discuss RCBO trips with dishwasher in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

swifters

Hi all, I have a Bosch sms2012gb dishwasher approximately 15 years old and it has started to trip my RCBO for the kitchen. I have pin pointed the trip to where the programmer reaches the main wash cycle as the photo shows. I can reset it a few times and then it finishes as normal. I have replaced the element and sprayed the drainage pump with wd40 as there was some slight signs of corrosion on this but no where eles. The only remaining item is perhaps the main pump? I have been using it without water softner salts as I have only just discovered that you are also meant to add these. oops. Any thoughts? Many thanks. JonRCBO trips with dishwasher IMG-20121119-00085 - EletriciansForums.net

sounds like a trip to curry's, or maybe comet's liquidator is having a sale.

Isolate to investigate was the phrase i was taught :)
insulation test from the plugtop, disconnecting a component at a time untill you find the culprite, usually heater elements, mains filter quite common too

Isolate to investigate was the phrase i was taught :)
insulation test from the plugtop, disconnecting a component at a time untill you find the culprite, usually heater elements, mains filter quite common too

What is a mains filter and where abouts are they on the machine? Insulation resistance line neutral was 1.5mega ohm (to be expected I suppose as there may be bulbs, transformers etc?), line to earth >200, neutral earth >200. It seems to trip when the main pump is going at it's strongest on the main wash cycle. I discconected the earth going to the main pump but it still trips. Any thoughts?

the mains filter will be right at the end of the plugtop mains cable, looks a bit like a motor capacitor,
is the pump motor leaking? we used to get a lot of tripping when the main motor seal had gone and it leaked onto the motor, not always noticable at first.
you'll need to disconnect each component completely as there all earthed through the stainless shell too, you should have more than the 1.5mohm between line and neutral, at that point in the program that to me suggests a heater element is breaking down as its heating up and expanding, but you said you'd changed it??

the mains filter will be right at the end of the plugtop mains cable, looks a bit like a motor capacitor,
is the pump motor leaking? we used to get a lot of tripping when the main motor seal had gone and it leaked onto the motor, not always noticable at first.
you'll need to disconnect each component completely as there all earthed through the stainless shell too, you should have more than the 1.5mohm between line and neutral, at that point in the program that to me suggests a heater element is breaking down as its heating up and expanding, but you said you'd changed it??

Yes, brand new one. I tested it at the plug. I got a similiar result with my washing machine and that still works fine. Can't see that the pump is leaking but it is tucked away so difficult to see exactly. There is no water on the floor.

I have got it! Turns out it was a cable tie trapped in the pump, don't have a clue how it made it past the filter but it must have been overloading the motor, hopefully it will last for another 15 years. ha

Don't even know how a cable tie ended up in the dishwasher...

Good job if thats the rascal but i would'nt have thought stalling a motor that tidgy would cause an overload or earth fault.But what do i know,still using the marigolds...

Good job if thats the rascal but i would'nt have thought stalling a motor that tidgy would cause an overload or earth fault.But what do i know,still using the marigolds...

Tend to agree, but he did say it didn't happen till the start of the main wash, which is when the heating element would energise, so to trip the RCBO the fault current would only need to be whatever extra was needed over and above the heater load.

Whatever - he clearly needs to cook the cable ties longer so they're a bit softer in future.

Tend to agree, but he did say it didn't happen till the start of the main wash, which is when the heating element would energise, so to trip the RCBO the fault current would only need to be whatever extra was needed over and above the heater load.

Whatever - he clearly needs to cook the cable ties longer so they're a bit softer in future.

It would appear you are right, it tripped again last night. Starting to lose patience with it now. Might push it off a cliff. I guess that leaves the mains filter or there was a small ceramic like holder attached to the heating element just before the electrical connection of the element that broke. It appeared to draw heat away from the element as the old heating element had no calcium/limescale deposit past that point. Or might just give up. Can you test th mains filter to see if it's broken? Don't fancy buying another part for it and still not curing the problem.

with mains filters, the easiest way is just to snip them out of circuit. all they do is stop your machine interfering with TV reception on emmeroids and constipation st. so why bother?

Reply to RCBO trips with dishwasher in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock