Discuss Rcbos and mcbs split load board in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't see a problem. Of course the MCB circuits will have to be routed/installed in such a manner that RCD protection is not required.
What problem do you envisage, if any?

It sounds like you mean having a split board with 2 rcds and then putting a rcbo in place of one or more mcbs and in this case i would say no as you would have 2 30mA rcd one after the other, get a high integrity board so you still have the rcd parts plus another part for the rcbos

I'm reading this like the CU has RCBO's and then a MCB for an armoured cable going to the garage CU, which has a RCD.
Looks like we will have to wait for the Op to come back and clarify things.

@MDJ will be along in a minute to reprimand the OP for lack of information and hit him with the punctuation stick for good measure - stand back! Here comes trouble!!!!

If anyone can tell a story @Spoon can!
I'm reading this like the CU has RCBO's and then a MCB for an armoured cable going to the garage CU, which has a RCD.

Creative to say the least given the distinct lack of info in the op ...

I like to think I have a good imagination. :tearsofjoy:
The way I'm thinking this is, the CU can't be a dual RCD CU as you wouldn't add RCBO's to something that already has RCD, not the same type anyhow..
I'm sure the OP will be along any minute now, to say my thoughts are correct, to which I will then dance around the living room while pointing at you guys and singing "Told you sooooo" over and over again...
I'm always right.... just ask the missus....

Good Lord! That's fantastic.
Spoon, do you hire out that magic all seeing ball of yours? I have a job estimate to do where I can't get into the property until the boarding is taken down (tenant vandalism and police evidence scene). Would be great to get a peek behind that door. :p

I like to think I have a good imagination. :tearsofjoy:
The way I'm thinking this is, the CU can't be a dual RCD CU as you wouldn't add RCBO's to something that already has RCD, not the same type anyhow..
I'm sure the OP will be along any minute now, to say my thoughts are correct, to which I will then dance around the living room while pointing at you guys and singing "Told you sooooo" over and over again...
I'm always right.... just ask the missus....

Hang on a sec!
You're not the OP are you? That would be really sneaky and cheaty but also very funny and clever. ;)

There was a time when 'split' boards had only one RCD. From the right, there was the mainswitch, a line of a few MCB's, then an RCD mainswitch and another line of MCB's.
Everything to the left of the RCD was protected by the RCD. Everything to the right, wasn't.

I think the OP was asking if one of the non-protected MCB's could be changed.
Answer, yes. But the current rating and type should be suitable for the circuit.
The L & N of the outgoing circuit are both terminated into the RCBO. The neutral fly lead from the RCBO goes into the neutral bar that the circuit N came from (ie, the one that doesn't come from the RCD mainswitch)

Safety Disclaimer:-
The inside of the main consumer unit is full of little terminal screws that can give you a little tingly if you accidently touch one.
Even with the mainswitch off, there is live terminals at the top of the switch, very close to the neutral bar.
Our advice, as always, is to have this work done safely by a qualified and competent electrician

EDITTED. I see now OP is a trainee... so knows all about tingles

To be fair on this occassion the OP is a Trainee, that said he or she should really come back and clarify what the actual first post is all about.

It must have been a long day yesterday, as I've only just spotted the mention of 'split load board' in the title.. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Looks like we are not going to get things clarified... I still think I'm right in my thoughts... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
At least I have 4 days off work now... :grinning::grinning:

Reply to Rcbos and mcbs split load board in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net