Discuss RCBO's on TT system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There is no problem, The problem with RCBOs is they are single pole and not the answer to some types of special location like caravan sites, a double pole s type RCD as the main switch in the Distribution Board and then RCBOs for individual circuits is a very good method for TT systems IMO, Tin hat on, E54 will be here in a few hours haha

No problem at all on a single phase TT supplied cu, so long as there is a DP main switch also in use on the CU.......have been fine on my assessments up to now.

The argument given by some is:
There is a requirement for DP disconnection for isolation purposes, the main switch covers this nicely.
There is a requirement for all live conductors to be disconnected under fault conditions, the SP rcbo does this fine.
Others will argue (correctly) that the neutral is also a live conductor and as such should be disconnected in the event of a fault, a single pole rcbo does not achieve this.

On a three phase TT supply all three phases & neutral need to disconnect under fault conditions (not got regs to hand so cant give the number)

You'll find some manufacturers state single pole rcbos shouldn't be fitted to TT or IT systems.

So in fitting them your going against manufacturers spec.

I think there are only a couple of companies that produce single module double pole rcbos at the moment, I predict there will be a few more companies selling them in the coming years.

No problem at all on a single phase TT supplied cu, so long as there is a DP main switch also in use on the CU.......have been fine on my assessments up to now.

The argument given by some is:
There is a requirement for DP disconnection for isolation purposes, the main switch covers this nicely.
A main switch will not clear a N>E fault
There is a requirement for all live conductors to be disconnected under fault conditions, the SP rcbo does this fine.
Others will argue (correctly) that the neutral is also a live conductor and as such should be disconnected in the event of a fault, a single pole rcbo does not achieve this.

On a three phase TT supply all three phases & neutral need to disconnect under fault conditions (not got regs to hand so cant give the number)

This is why it is so strongly recommended that a 100mA s type Rcd be used for a main switch.

To be fair a main switch wont clear any chuffing fault will it, hence it is there for isolation purposes only.

I think there are only a couple of companies that produce single module double pole rcbos at the moment, I predict there will be a few more companies selling them in the coming years.

I use compact double pole rcbo's these days, they do the job just right.

thanks not clever mdj and rob2 and I thought RCBO's were the mutts,it would seem I need to install rcd main switches too or just stick to rcd main switches only,the trouble I've found with them is if you get an N/E fault you lose the whole board,bit of an inconvenience for the customer,and having both main and rcbo seems a bit belt and braces

On TT systems, all OCPDs should theoretically be DP, or SP+N. It's also recommended that CU/DB casings should not be of metal construction. Now how far you want to take all this is up to you!!....

Reply to RCBO's on TT system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net