Discuss RCBO's or two split loads? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening everyone,

In process for tendering for a job, 3 floors and cellar, presently 14 rooms, going to be extended to have another annex, conservatory and another extension for kitchen.

Im thinking the way to go on this one is RCBO's, splitting it so each floor has a socket circuit and a lighting circuit, due to size of property i think this would be better. would you guys agree?

or stick in a couple of split load boards?

thanks!!

RCBOs are alot better than a split load dual RCD, but cost is the big problem so depends on what the customer wants. I would quote for both boards inform the customer to the advantages of RCBOs compared to split load and let them make the decision.

Hi, yes i would put a submain for the annex feeding a small consumer unit. Am also thinking maybe the need for an emergency light in the cellar as very steep stairs and narrow corridoors

rcbos definately the best way but cost is the factor as above perhaps put a sub main into a local consumer unit at the extension if it is a large property it would definately save on cable getting it all the way back to one board....

atb

how many final circuits & C.U. in total do you anticipate ?
floor area covered ?
like murdoch says , time to consider subs to various parts of the property.

didnt think of two consumer units, suppose one feeding annex and one feeding the kitchen area using swa would then also remove the RCBO feeding the board preventing both smaller consumer unit rcd and rcbo feeding the unit tripping together

hi biff, floor area at present without extensions is 3500 square foot. ccts: 5 final rings, 5 lighting, minimum of two showers, 2 cooker, garage conversion on a sub main

Hi mate, no offence intended, but I'm surprised the client hasn't gone for one of the big firms in Norwich on a job of this scale.

so 14 finals & 2 subs ( garage / annex )

off the top of my head , i'd go -

tails from meter to stand-alone 100A DP isolator
tails from iso to service blocks
split tails to 2 consumer units ( 8 way ) for final circuits and a metal clad 2 way switch fuse for submains ( metal clad allows the facility to connect swa cable if needed )

RCBO s allday less of a hassle when it comes to earth leakage RCD tripping etc.. but costs do come into it to

what do you pay for on a new boiler £800 say RCBO board £450 were as £125 split dual etc.. we need the word out there spend money on better electrical goods thats it for me good night...

Fantastic thanks biff! No offence taken guitarist, to be honest I do tender for a lot if big jobs but it is the size of the firm that normally causes me to lose them.

RCBO is the way I'm going to go.

Also grade 2 listed and ceilings are only just reachable from tall set of steps, thinking of installing a fire panel so then if they sound the reset on the panel can be pressed rather than impossible access, is there any other method? Eg a wall 'hush' switch?

On a job like this it would be worth contacting your wholesaler or even AICO about the smokes and see if they can't advise on what to install.

Stick the socket circuits on RCBOs, divide the rest across a (large, probably one of those stacker type) dual RCD board. Some of those stacking boards have 3 RCDs to divide circuits across.

Or essential circuits (sockets and lights) on RCBOs and less essential (cooker, shower) circuits on the RCD side of a split board, try and run Fire alarms or boiler supply so they don't require RCD protection.

Hard to say without seeing it and knowing how much dosh the customer has

Not much in it really now not bothered with a dual RCD board for a year now, they are satans work

Denmans, Wilts, ECD all do cracking deals on boards and RCBOs, the cost is no longer prohibitive as long as.....

you're not a manufacturer snob!

Not much in it really now not bothered with a dual RCD board for a year now, they are satans work

Denmans, Wilts, ECD all do cracking deals on boards and RCBOs, the cost is no longer prohibitive as long as.....

you're not a manufacturer snob!

This is true, I have fitted 2 Denmans own brand RCBOS boards at family members homes and had no problems with the. So far.

Reply to RCBO's or two split loads? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock