Discuss RCBO's tips and suggestions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Judd

-
Reaction score
Has anyone got any tips and suggestions for terminating RCBO's neatly in consumer units?
I'm more than happy with how I present my dual RCD and MCB CU's but I find that the flying neutral and earth from RCBO'S don't hold their Shape like a solid core cable would and often sag and look unsightly.
Any pictures aswell would be a bonus

Has anyone got any tips and suggestions for terminating RCBO's neatly in consumer units?
I'm more than happy with how I present my dual RCD and MCB CU's but I find that the flying neutral and earth from RCBO'S don't hold their Shape like a solid core cable would and often sag and look unsightly.
Any pictures aswell would be a bonus
You could try some sleeving as long as it's the correct colour.

Are you sure you aren't going too far? At the end of the day the customer isn't going to be too happy paying an extra hours labour just so the neutral tails are all lined up :)

don't use easy9 schneider DBs. there's virtually no space at the top, whereas there's 3" wasted below MCBs/RCBOs
Doesn't look unsightly with the cover on.

You can either tuck them behind the din rail then loop up to the bar, or cut and crimp the leads so you can dress them with whatever length you want.
try doing that with an easy9. the din rail is flat to the back of the box.

don't use easy9 schneider DBs. there's virtually no space at the top, whereas there's 3" wasted below MCBs/RCBOs

Do schineder Dbs still have the neutral bars vertically along the left and right hand side? Been a while since I fitted one.

Here was a nice tip from a previous member ‘pennywise’ - may use this idea in the future as may help no end, you don’t know until you try.

Quote -“I use the cable tie sticky pads, then make a loop with a tie and just don't tighten it up, then it just guides the cables rather than making them into one solid mass that could heat up.”

I had a look at one of those in the wholesalers once a few years back. Never used one based on that initial looking at.

This is a couple of before and after pics. The Memshield 3 neutral leads have all been cut, the leads have hair like strands and as you can see without ferruling they look pretty poor.

Better, but green ferrules are for 6mm. Not only do they look better when properly ferruled, but it's against the regs not to!

Cord-End-Ferrules-chart.jpg

Better, but green ferrules are for 6mm. Not only do they look better when properly ferruled, but it's against the regs not to!

Cord-End-Ferrules-chart.jpg
Or 16mm if you like the German ones...

Either way those pictured are way too big and will not crimp correctly, even when you graunch them up with the screw...

Reply to RCBO's tips and suggestions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net