Discuss rcbos tripping out for no apparent reason in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tezzar

i installed a new db into a office 2 weeks ago ,there is a total of 4 circuits , 32a ring main ,16a radial, 6a lights x2
everthing came on allright and i just had time to do zs test on circuits and rcd test both tests where satisfactory ,not enough time to to do ins/res owing the urgency of using ring main
2 weeks later i was told that the ALL rcbos had tripped at the same time with nobody using any appliances i am at present a bit baffled and to wonder where to start with this problem.

Not enough information but if they have all tripped, I would imagine that there is a major fault as it would require a N-E fault for example for all of them.

Can you take a piccy of inside the board when you go back?

I wonder if the fault may present itself when the cover comes off!!

What do you mean you didn't have enough time to do the IR test? New istallations should never be used without being fully commissioned. In such cases nobody has any right yo rush you.

tezzar ...

are you certain you connected it all up correctly?

Don't shout at me but I'm wondering if you maybe connected all the neutrals together ... or something

"All the RCBO's tripped at the same time".

Just check the live busbar term at the isso, friend of mine had a simular problem last year and it was just that. Or i may be pointing you in the wrong dirrection.

My money is on this being a rushed bodge start to finish, with someone out of his depth and now paying the penalty.

Don't allow yourself to be rushed into doing half a job mate, if it ever happens again just ask them which they'd prefer, a job done properly or left in what could be a dangerous condition. That should shut them up

Don't allow yourself to be rushed into doing half a job mate, if it ever happens again just ask them which they'd prefer, a job done properly or left in what could be a dangerous condition. That should shut them up

I used to just tell them to go forth and fornicate. :smug2:

Don't think anyone can help you on this as you cannot give any information on the results of testing.
We are electricians Not magicians,
bit of a poor show not doing a full test first, during or even after so a big lesson learned on this i think.
No matter how much the client wants you to do it yesterday if not quicker and puts preasure on getting it done only means you failed to arange an appropriate time to carry out this job giving you time to do any testing required.
Perhaps you got the job because you were the cheapest, not doing out of hours. Now you know why.

2 weeks later i was told that the ALL rcbos had tripped at the same time with nobody using any appliances

Just looked into this crystal ball of mine, it tells me the information off the client is inaccurate,the rcbos didn't in fact all trip, the fault will turn out to be a run of the mill problem

di have that happen once all RCBO's tripped they were cheep one's the fault was a faulty kettle and it tripped big style no faults on any circuit other than the kettle so i carried out some RCD tests and found that the physical force of the RCBO tripping caused the rest to trip so could well be that

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to rcbos tripping out for no apparent reason in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net