Discuss RCCB as main switch? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Noob2013

Hi all,

I have been to a property where the tails come out of the meter and into an RCCB which then feeds the main switch of the consumer unit. All circuits are protected by MCBs.

If I'm adding a new circuit, is it best put in an RCBO instead of an MCB?

Thanks

There should not be a 'front end' RCD installed at all. Circuits should be separated so that if a fault occurs the whole installation does not trip.

There should not be a 'front end' RCD installed at all. Circuits should be separated so that if a fault occurs the whole installation does not trip.

Yes lets rip it all out and start from a fresh.. and then also get rid of the 100mA time delay RCD's from them old installs lol

Hi all,

I have been to a property where the tails come out of the meter and into an RCCB which then feeds the main switch of the consumer unit. All circuits are protected by MCBs.

If I'm adding a new circuit, is it best put in an RCBO instead of an MCB?

Thanks
Hi Noob,

A new circuit would need notifying under Part P of the building regs. As your profile shows that you're an apprentice you could maybe undertake this job with one of the electricians that you work with.

Also, if you don't already have it, get yourself access to the trainees forum.

cobblers. this was most likely to regs. when installed. there's no requirement to bring it up to current regs. although any work done on the installation must comply to 17th.

cobblers. this was most likely to regs. when installed. there's no requirement to bring it up to current regs. although any work done on the installation must comply to 17th.

"most likely"

good enough for you. Not good enough for me.

As soon as he disconnects the tails to the existing he must be happy with the current installation before he reconnects it.

Just my opinion.

"most likely"

good enough for you. Not good enough for me.

As soon as he disconnects the tails to the existing he must be happy with the current installation before he reconnects it.

Just my opinion.

as long as it's safe for continued use. the fact that it was installed to a previous version of the regs. is no reason to condemn it. that's like condemning a 1990's car because it doesn't have abs or airbags.

Hi Noob,

A new circuit would need notifying under Part P of the building regs. As your profile shows that you're an apprentice you could maybe undertake this job with one of the electricians that you work with.

Also, if you don't already have it, get yourself access to the trainees forum.

Can't we have an "Apprentice" badges Mods?

as long as it's safe for continued use. the fact that it was installed to a previous version of the regs. is no reason to condemn it. that's like condemning a 1990's car because it doesn't have abs or airbags.

Not condem but advise and make sure it is on the cert if the home owner does not want it.

Reply to RCCB as main switch? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock