Discuss RCCB making the Zs higher than it should be in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
after finding an unexpectedly high Zs on a shower, I narrowed it down to:

Zs at input of RCD (RCCB) is around 0.18 as would be expected but the Zs at the output of the RCD is 0.96! Both tests done with 3 lead low test on Megger MFT with 3 month calibration.

It is a split load board and both RCDs show similar results. Both pass standard TCD trip tests.

I haven't come across this before although some googling showed an MK article that said the electronics in an RCD can cause this.

It is a pain in the bum to have to bridge out the RCD to do the Zs tests in this case!?

Just add your R1+R2 to your Ze(Zdb). Quite a common problem having high resistance through an RCD.

it can be a pain, but you can do it like this on hi-current. option of bypassing RCD or MCB or both. just remember to remove the L-E shrt before energising.

RCCB making the Zs higher than it should be High current Zs test with RCD - EletriciansForums.net

My foggy memory of just last year, suggests the Megger 1700 series, have other options to negate this issue. I just can't remember what it is :(

Just read the manufacturers instructions.

As above, the MFT1741 compensates for "RCD uplift".

From what I understand this impedance is not real but is seen by the meter.

real or not,it's a pain in the arse. never caused any problems in the past with the bang test.

real or not,it's a pain in the arse. never caused any problems in the past with the bang test.

Ahh the good ole days!
We used to call it a flash test.
Passed the bang/flash test then job & knock down to the pub..
Failed the test then still an early finish with exception of the new breed of clever clogs apprentice who was left to do some testing :(

Could be very misleading for those that just do the Zs tests on a PI..
Will you leave information for future tests?
It's a case of R1R2 if RCD involved. Mind you, I usually do, especially on domestic jobs. On industrial, it's get the earth test lead out, if I feel there's any prob.

evening guys. im a bit confused by this. isn't the rcd part of the fault path? so if it has a high resistance it should be replaced?

I'd be interested in understanding why not all RCD's suffer from RCD uplift?

From what I understand when your measuring Zs on a RCD that suffers from uplift, it is adding the impedance of the coil in the RCD to R1 & R2 which throws out your readings

Thanks everyone.
I too had assumed that is wasn't 'real' and shouldn't be included but I would be interested to real a proper technical explanation of why it happens.

I think Loki's idea of deducting the difference of each side of the rcd is the easiest option and at least you have done the test. Also agree that it is confusing on the cert (if the homeowner doesn't loose it before the next test!) but not sure where best to include it.

Thanks everyone.
I too had assumed that is wasn't 'real' and shouldn't be included but I would be interested to real a proper technical explanation of why it happens.

I think Loki's idea of deducting the difference of each side of the rcd is the easiest option and at least you have done the test. Also agree that it is confusing on the cert (if the homeowner doesn't loose it before the next test!) but not sure where best to include it.

here you go

Loop Impedance Testing: Have We Seen The End of Uplift? - https://professional-electrician.com/features/the-end-of-uplift/

Cant believe the OP has only just experienced this.
We get it all the time on all makes of RCD (some makes worse than others) and on all our meters (Seward, Metrel & Megger).

Reply to RCCB making the Zs higher than it should be in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock