Discuss RCCB's RCBO's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Hawk

In a commercial premises, I was called to recently, the power had tripped off. It turned out it was a SON lamp which was causing the problem. This tripped the 30mA RCBO for the lights and also the main 30mA RCCB below DB 3, which in turn meant other essential circuits i.e. chilled food cabinets, that are supplied from this board, lost power.

The setup of the installation is as follows:

TT system 3 phase supply

The main incoming cable supplies terminal blocks (escos) and from here branch out to a 100mA 100A RCCB which supplys DB 1 and another branch from the escos, which supplies a Switchfuse 100A TP+N, which then supplys a 100A 30mA RCCB for DB 3. DB 2 is taken off a MCB from DB 1.

To stop essential loads losing power in the event of a non-essential load tripping the 30mA RCCB supplying DB 3, I was wondering if you had any suggestions of how to go about this. I was thinking along the lines of doing away with the 30mA RCCB supplying DB 3 and having each circuit on its own RCBO, although this may be costly. Some of the circuits already have RCBO's. Is it not stupid having a 30mA RCCB supplying the board and then using some RCBO's for circuits? The more sensitive one would trip first.

Thanks

Hawk

they both would trip at the same time guessing theres a sub main to db3 does it have rcd protection? should be 100ma s type rcd before metal clad switch fuse protecting sub main rcbos the only way to go

I will have to check it out. I only had a quick look as it was midnight I got the call. I would imagine that the sub mains supplying DB3 would be protected by a 100mA rcd as it was a NICIAC spark that done the installation.

I was thinking of maybe a gsm module connected to the essential supplies so if they trip off the client would be notified to his mobile. Any thoughts?

Reply to RCCB's RCBO's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock