Discuss RCD adaptor issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am seeking professional advice. I have no electrical qualifications. On the last 2 occasions I have cut my lawn the RCD adaptor did not trip BUT when I disconnected the mower the RCD was completely dead (ie would not reset nor test nor allow power to any device) . On the second occasion I borrowed a friends RCD adaptor and consequently destroyed his! Obviously I suspect the mower but as a novice I would have expected either of the RCDs to trip. On the occasion before these lawn cuttings I had some difficulty connecting the power lead to the mower hence my suspicion of the mower having a fault. I would like an explanation as the only other cause could be the house socket (its in a newish build and has not had any previous problems!) Many thanks Paul

If it is a newish build do you need an rcd adaptor, I assume this adaptor you plug to the socket outlet first.

The answer to that is probably not. But the new build is an extension and as I understand it on a different circuit to the rest of the house. But to do the front lawn I use the other circuit. (I said I am not an electrician) and the use of the adaptor is basically habit. I am chasing an explanation so I know whether to ditch the lawn mower or have the extension electrics investigated. Thanks for replying

It sounds odd. An RCD adaptor should survive OK even with the switching on/off of a load such as a lawnmower.

Were they both the same brand of RCD adaptor?

True, in a new house the sockets should already be protected, but equally you ought to test the main RCD (at the CU = consumer unit = fusebox) regularly (which will cut the 13A socket power temporarily, so best to trun off PCs and TIVO recorders, etc, beforehand).

What you experienced is exactly what would be expected on cutting a mower flex. Most mowers are Class 2 appliances, or double insulated, and do not have an earth conductor. An RCD trips with a leakage to earth, so cutting the mower cable would not trip an RCD because fault current would not flow to earth. It would however cause a short live to neutral which would blow the 13a fuse in the RCD adaptor rendering it non functional. All you had to do is replace that fuse and the RCD adaptor would be functional again.
The RCD would protect you if you (for example) damaged the flex without blowing the fuse and came into contact with a live conductor, if you received an electric shock in that situation the RCD should do it's job and trip before the current flowing through your body to earth reached a fatal magnitude .

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the RCD adaptor work in another socket? Many do not reset/can't be switched on if the socket they are plugged into has no earth connection.

What you experienced is exactly what would be expected on cutting a mower flex. Most mowers are Class 2 appliances, or double insulated, and do not have an earth conductor. An RCD trips with a leakage to earth, so cutting the mower cable would not trip an RCD because fault current would not flow to earth. It would however cause a short live to neutral which would blow the 13a fuse in the RCD adaptor rendering it non functional. All you had to do is replace that fuse and the RCD adaptor would be functional again.
The RCD would protect you if you (for example) damaged the flex without blowing the fuse and came into contact with a live conductor, if you received an electric shock in that situation the RCD should do it's job and trip before the current flowing through your body to earth reached a fatal magnitude .
Brilliant and highly logical answer. Thank you very much for sharing your expertise. I shall change the fuse on one RCD appliance asap. I shall also change the flex on the mower once lockdown is over. I am ever so grateful

But the OP hasn't mentioned anything about cutting the mowers cable

But the OP hasn't mentioned anything about cutting the mowers cable
You are correct, I misread the post. Perhaps then there is a short circuit on the mower or flex connector which has blown the fuse. A blown fuse would still account for the dead RCD adaptors.

Reply to RCD adaptor issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock