Discuss rcd b type in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

matt sparks

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

have just changed a c type mcb for a btype rcd. asked /ordered a c type but got the b instead and installed without noticing, i know i should have checked, but it was late out of hours....... we all know the score, it is looking after a small kitchenette with a couple of sockets fridge dishwasher microwave water cooler in factory will this be ok when it comes to testing, this job has been a nightmare!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
S

Spudnik

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Should be ok but you should make sure your Zs complies with the new b curve RCBO.

Also, you may want to make sure that there are no external compressors for fridges etc on that circuit as the start up may take out a B type.

G

Guest123

It should be absolutely fine matey.

The max Zs for a B type is higher than that for a C type and providing it's suitably rated for overcurrent protection aswell then I forsee no problems at all.

Cheers.:D

M

matt sparks

thanks chaps, for a circuit so small and for a room the size of a shoe box this has been a pain in the arse, but thanks for the quick response!

have just changed a c type mcb for a btype rcd. asked /ordered a c type but got the b instead and installed without noticing, i know i should have checked, but it was late out of hours....... we all know the score, it is looking after a small kitchenette with a couple of sockets fridge dishwasher microwave water cooler in factory will this be ok when it comes to testing, this job has been a nightmare!
Why did you want to fit a type C mcb when if the circuit is as you describe a type B would seem to be more appropriate?

S

Spudnik

Seems to me that the original MCB was a c type and therefore was going to replace with a C type RCBO.

I'd probably do the same but, yes, the b type would be fine tho.

M

matt sparks

the client wanted it changed from mcb to rcd was going to put in a c type rcd but a b type turned up, have to use it for now, but dont want to change it if it will do. and thanks for the replies chaps.

S

Spudnik

Matt,

As Mr Loon pointed out, the only time you should be a bit careful is if you are going from a B to a C type as the Max Zs for the circuit concerned is lower with a C than a B.

Reply to rcd b type in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom