Discuss rcd b type in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

matt sparks

have just changed a c type mcb for a btype rcd. asked /ordered a c type but got the b instead and installed without noticing, i know i should have checked, but it was late out of hours....... we all know the score, it is looking after a small kitchenette with a couple of sockets fridge dishwasher microwave water cooler in factory will this be ok when it comes to testing, this job has been a nightmare!

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be ok but you should make sure your Zs complies with the new b curve RCBO.

Also, you may want to make sure that there are no external compressors for fridges etc on that circuit as the start up may take out a B type.

It should be absolutely fine matey.

The max Zs for a B type is higher than that for a C type and providing it's suitably rated for overcurrent protection aswell then I forsee no problems at all.

Cheers.:D

thanks chaps, for a circuit so small and for a room the size of a shoe box this has been a pain in the arse, but thanks for the quick response!

have just changed a c type mcb for a btype rcd. asked /ordered a c type but got the b instead and installed without noticing, i know i should have checked, but it was late out of hours....... we all know the score, it is looking after a small kitchenette with a couple of sockets fridge dishwasher microwave water cooler in factory will this be ok when it comes to testing, this job has been a nightmare!

Why did you want to fit a type C mcb when if the circuit is as you describe a type B would seem to be more appropriate?

Seems to me that the original MCB was a c type and therefore was going to replace with a C type RCBO.

I'd probably do the same but, yes, the b type would be fine tho.

the client wanted it changed from mcb to rcd was going to put in a c type rcd but a b type turned up, have to use it for now, but dont want to change it if it will do. and thanks for the replies chaps.

Matt,

As Mr Loon pointed out, the only time you should be a bit careful is if you are going from a B to a C type as the Max Zs for the circuit concerned is lower with a C than a B.

Reply to rcd b type in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock