Discuss RCD dates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

ben2012

I tested a property the other day and it had no RCD protection, now I know it needs improvement but what I can't find out is what date/year the requirement for RCD protection on sockets came in? Can anybody help? I qualified under 16th edition and it was always under that for downstairs sockets etc but this house was built before I started in the industry. Any help appreciated.

thanks

Ben

17th edition was the first to state all sockets must be RCD protected if not used by skilled person etc. 16th edition was outside sockets or any that could be used outside. I believe this is all correct. Although I am sure someone will be along soon to correct me.

I think any socket downstairs stands a chance of that to be fair, I've only done a visual check on the install, as the customer is part ex ing it with a developer so don't I'm trying to not make unnecessary work for her :juggle2:

Its only a small property then with sockets within easy reach of a window or door?

Or would you have tp pass a few other socket putlets to use it for outdoor equipment?

Me personally I would give it a C2 then as it didnt comply when installed.

But thats my personal opinion, you as the assesor have to use your judgement and it code it how you see fit. You know the i stalation better than anyone on here probably does.

So the question is do I fail it as it's got no RCD protection at all given that its supposed to be retrospective?!
OK not an expert on this so just an opinion and could be totally wrong so this is not a recommendation by any means, but...
If the original installer deemed that the sockets would not be used for outside connection then surely the installation complied at that time (based on the requirement of RCD need was open to interpretation at that time, from my limited knowledge!!). In this case then I don't think retrospective non compliance can be applied.
If it could be proved that an internal socket would have been used for outside connection at the time of install but the installer chose not to install RCD then that would be non compliance . e.g. if home owner had electric mains lawn mower and no External RCD protected weatherproof socket.

This is my issue, I can't believe that a new build property on a large development wouldn't comply at time on installation?! You would assume that a desiger in an office somewhere would have specced them accordingly? I just don't want to mark it as c2 unless I have to as its going to cause all sorts of people's for the home owner with their part ex, but by the same token I obv have to do a proper certificate!

But the install may have been designed before RCDs were required in this situation.

Still a C2 IMO. Just remember its your --- on the line if something happens in the future that you didn't highlight on this EICR.

But given its retrospective, if it didn't need one at time of installation then surely it's a c3?

It's completely irrelevant whether or not it complied when it was installed. You are assessing the installation against the current standard (BS 7671:2008 (2013)) and the notes attached to the model forms in the Wiring Regulations state that any lack of an RCD for additional protection must be given a minimum of a C3 classification.

So you need to assess how great the risk is.

Of course, the "easiest" way to avoid a code 2 is to change a couple of sockets front & back for rcd protected ones, or protect the ground ring with an rcbo.

Reply to RCD dates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net