Discuss RCD fail in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deservices

Had a RCD fail the 180 deg test today. Works ok if I just do the 1x test, get 6.4 ms, on 5x get 25 ms but if I do the auto test on me megger it fails the 180deg 1x test. I'm presuming its U/S any thoughts guys thanks in advance.

The times one test reading is incredible, I get 20-40 usually depending on the RCD, and at times 5 8-20 usually, don't think Ive ever seen a times one at 6.4 myself, still we learn every day here on EF.

sounds dodgy. did you test at the RCD with no loads applied?

I tested four today...they were getting on a bit certainly > 10 years one failed on x1 the others all within regs,bin it, way I see it, it may not ever get tested again, or for at least 5/10 years ..sling the bugger
J

Sorry for late reply. I tested on the ring sockets tried it a few times, sorry I put the times down wrong they where the others way round. The 5x one was done manually as the auto test failed to go past the 1x test on 180deg. Iv never had this fault before ha rcd's fail but not work on 0deg and fail on 180deg. Going to try my meter in the morning at home just to make sure it's not that.

Sorry for late reply. I tested on the ring sockets tried it a few times, sorry I put the times down wrong they where the others way round. The 5x one was done manually as the auto test failed to go past the 1x test on 180deg. Iv never had this fault before ha rcd's fail but not work on 0deg and fail on 180deg. Going to try my meter in the morning at home just to make sure it's not that.

For accurate RCD test results, always test RCD's at the disconnected load terminals of the device at the CU... Your testing the RCD device not the circuit it's protecting...

He's quite right of course if you want to follow the testing regime to the letter, personally I see nowt wrong with putting the plug top tester lead in a convenient adjacent socket, as long as it is uploaded, a dam sight quicker
J

I was under the impression that you tested the RCD time on each circuit that it was testing, presferably at the furthest point to ensure that the trip times where ok?

This is one thing I have had to concede I always held that you should test the circuit, however clearly this is wrong as you should have already tested the circuit for all the usual tests, the test should be carried out between the load side of the RCD on the line and CPC of the associated circuit, as I say in my opinion an adjacent socket with appliances off serves this purpose.
J

I tend to test at a socket/light fitting, then if anything 'odd' shows up I test it at the board compare the results and go from there.

As Murdoch pointed out though, a slow RCD can frequently be brought back to spec with a few presses of the manual test button.

I had a Legrand 63amp 3 phase RCD fail a couple of weeks ago.

When it was first turned on it went bang, even with all the MCB's turned off, when I tried it again it shut down the whole system including the digital meter. After about 30mins, system cooled down and came back up on line with 230 volts present at each phase. RCD was badly scorched on the sides so ordered a new one and replaced. Cost of new one Euros 283.60 and thats trade price here in France.

i had a legrand 63amp 3 phase rcd fail a couple of weeks ago.

When it was first turned on it went bang, even with all the mcb's turned off, when i tried it again it shut down the whole system including the digital meter. After about 30mins, system cooled down and came back up on line with 230 volts present at each phase. Rcd was badly scorched on the sides so ordered a new one and replaced. Cost of new one euros 283.60 and thats trade price here in france.

£200+ ???
J

But if the rcd is requiring the manual button pumping a few times then obviously the rcd inside is breaking and needs replacing, there is no guarantee that in 1 yrs time when joe public needs the rcd to trip under fault that it will trip

But if the rcd is requiring the manual button pumping a few times then obviously the rcd inside is breaking and needs replacing, there is no guarantee that in 1 yrs time when joe public needs the rcd to trip under fault that it will trip

It's not breaking, the mechanism is sticking. That's why the should be (and a label to that effect is put on the CU) manually tripped annually. No one bothers though, consequently they stick. Working the mechanism a few times usually frees them off.

Reply to RCD fail in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock