Discuss Rcd fails test. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I've been installing a new shower, using a shower consumer unit complete with rcd. All the tests passed, r1 And r2 were 0.23 ohms, insulation resistance was >299M ohms, polarity was correct. But when I test the rcd I cannot get it to trip. It passes when the test button is pressed but will not pass the rcd test at 1 or 5 times, it fails to trip and my tester says time exceeded and shuts off.
Every thing appears correct I ran out of time so have isolated it the shower and will investigate it again tomorrow.

all advice would be appreciated.

thanks

1,How familiar are you with your test equipment 2, at what point in the circuit did you preform the tests on the RCD, 3 what do you mean you ran out of time, you should know by now electricians can make time lol

I'm familiar with my tester, I ran the test at both at the shower end of the circuit and the consumer unit end. I had to pack up due to child care issues otherwise I would have spent longer longer looking for the fault. To double check my tester I checked the properties other rcd using the socket tester and it worked as it should, so I'm certain my tester is ok. I was using the testers leads to test the shower circuit.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked tester was set to 30mA

Onions, thanks for that, that was what I was thinking, i was beginning to think I had missed something. But as the r1 and r2 and insulation tests are ok there shouldn't be a damage to the cable. I checked all connections were tight in both the shower and the switch unit.

The test button simply introduces an imbalance coil to test the mechanism is working, so this won't help. Just out of interest, before you return the unit, have you tried using the leads in exactly the same way on your known "good" RCD, or did you use the plug adaptor? Just a thought in case you had something connected incorrectly in this instance.

one thing to check is that you have not put your meter onto test a dc rcd i was having the same thing on a job took me bloody ages to realize.

dom

Onions, thanks for that, that was what I was thinking, i was beginning to think I had missed something. But as the r1 and r2 and insulation tests are ok there shouldn't be a damage to the cable. I checked all connections were tight in both the shower and the switch unit.

Zs test at shower would have confirmed your earth was good without the rechecking of all your connections (as you already done r1 & r2)

You said you checked the other RCD with the plug attachment - I would check both RCDs, at the board, with the leads - if one trips and the other doesn't then as Onions said......

Hi, I've been installing a new shower, using a shower consumer unit complete with rcd. All the tests passed, r1 And r2 were 0.23 ohms, insulation resistance was >299M ohms, polarity was correct. But when I test the rcd I cannot get it to trip. It passes when the test button is pressed but will not pass the rcd test at 1 or 5 times, it fails to trip and my tester says time exceeded and shuts off.
Every thing appears correct I ran out of time so have isolated it the shower and will investigate it again tomorrow.

all advice would be appreciated.

thanks
You have not mentioned ZS! I take it your shower unit has a ZE /Ra ?

Reply to Rcd fails test. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net