Discuss RCD for boiler replacement? When is an RCD NEEDED? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
When does an installation NEED an RCD? I thought that all new circuits need one but I now believe that I am mistaken.

Regulation 411.3.3 for socket outlets up to 32amps and regulation 411.3.4 for lights.
Then for special locations like bathrooms.
If the cables are less than 50mm deep into the wall

So when I'm installing a new oven, boiler or any fixed equipment really I don't technically need an RCD protecting the circuit? Unless ofcourse the manafacturer's instruction say so.

thanks

As you have said RCDs are required for specific things only, there is no blanket requirement for RCDs on all circuits.

In practice the vast majority of new final circuits in a domestic installation will need RCD protection due to cables being buried at less than 50mm etc, serving a bathroom, serving lighting circuits or being the easiest way to RCD protect the sockets.

If doing a like for like swap then you wouldn't technically need to install an RCD however it would always be advisable to recommend to the customer that one is installed if required.

How many boilers have thier own feed? I suspect most are just taken from a FCU off the nearby ring and get whatever it has! (Which these days ought to be RCD protected)

Reply to RCD for boiler replacement? When is an RCD NEEDED? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Had a new unvented Boiler fitted as the old one had reached the end of it's life. Electrician mentioned that it might be worth replacing my fuse...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have lifetime experience (50+ years) in United States with basic knowledge of split phase 120/240 volts replacing wall switches and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick one regarding the need for RCD protection for socket outlets rated up to and including 32A. I have been tasked to install...
Replies
Views
Hello Need to replace a distribution board in the next few weeks to allow for more circuits to be installed in January. Existing is a TT system...
Replies
Views
I decided to get solar panels, the inverter instructions say one can use type AC, so the existing 14 x RCBO CU seems OK, may be a good idea to fit...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock