Discuss RCD headache in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jono

Hi,

I'm not an electrician just a consumer. I've a recurring problem wit an RCD tripping for no apparent reason, which I'll describe. Obviously I'll not touch it myself (other than to reset the RCD) but I'd be interested in views as to what's occurring. Oh; one thing. I don't understand the jargon/abbreviations.

I've two sets of circuit breakers. One is for the beefier stuff (hob, oven, CH, and the lights and sockets in the garage). The other covers everything else. The beefy RCD has started tripping randomly though it only seems to happen at weekends. The lights in the garage are 2 x fluorescent tubes. The sockets take the washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and fridge freezer. Why the garage? Ask my landlord.

When I moved in, the WM caused the RCD to trip and a faulty motor (it was clearly faulty, as it made an awful noise) was replaced. This cured it. There's no evidence of any fault with the WM since then. I did wonder if the new problem was the (new) Baxi back boiler but this works without incident through the week. I'm pretty sure that when it tripped last weekend, only the CH, hob and oven were on. I turned the hob and oven off but it went again a short while later.

It's the inconsistency that gets me. I can't isolate any single appliance as being the culprit but it's obviously (?) something that's used at the weekend. That implies the WM or dryer but they weren't on last weekend when it last tripped! Today, they'd both finished their cycles and were simply sitting there (still switched on) waiting to be emptied when the RCD tripped.

I'll get my landlord and a pukka eectrician onto it but I'd welcome any views.

RCD most likely doing its job, protecting the consumer.

Your appliances dont need to be running when they can cause a fault, just plugged in can be enough.

Look for something which mixes electricity and water as thats the favorite.
IE switch off the master switch at shower and cooker when not in use, unplug washing machine, the culprit will eventually show itself and your landlord may expect you to pay for the spark visit if it is one of your appliances causing the fault.
Unplug the kettle and locate your central heating pump and see if it is fitted inverted, leaking, and flooding the terminal block.

Boydy

i would hazard a guess that if the RCD has been subject to a lot of tripping, it might just be past it's prime. as said, proper testing will ascertain if it's 1. appliance/s. 2. circuit wiring. 3. RCD.

As above. A RCD is very sensitive and if there is no arrant sign then a bit of testing will narrow down the fault. But if its tripping constantly then im affriad there is defiantly a fault

RCD most likely doing its job, protecting the consumer.

Your appliances dont need to be running when they can cause a fault, just plugged in can be enough.

Look for something which mixes electricity and water as thats the favorite.
IE switch off the master switch at shower and cooker when not in use, unplug washing machine, the culprit will eventually show itself and your landlord may expect you to pay for the spark visit if it is one of your appliances causing the fault.
Unplug the kettle and locate your central heating pump and see if it is fitted inverted, leaking, and flooding the terminal block.

Boydy
really?...lol...

Thing is yep appliances can be connected to single pole switchgear and they can trip the RCD when switched off. I have had 2 jobs like this one was the dishwasher the other was the fridge. I always tell customers with RCDs that last man frees all in other words if you switch the kettle on and it trip then it a no brainer . Best thing to do is unplug not switch off the washing machine and diswasher and if it is still tripping then strike them off your list and continue to do this same as this will narrow it down

Reply to RCD headache in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net