Discuss RCD keeps tripping?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Paultrim123321

No, don't panic, this isn't a plea for help, just sympathy. Asked to check out a bungalow this morning, (friend of the wife) apparently the "big switch in the fuseboard keeps tripping?"

Oh well, turned up with the family in toe as I thought this won't take long. Old Wylex board with BS 4293 RCD main switch. 5 1/2 hours later!!:/ IR all circuits to find lighting radials neutral/earth very low! 1.4ohms to be precise, and no I don't mean 0.14mohms I mean 1.4ohms.
Well after some splitting/calculating/removing/more testing fault found at a bloody damaged neutral conductor in bulkhead light fitting in utility room, the sheathing was damaged on installation recently and was exposing inner copper conductors which where just touching the metallic reflector tray in the fitting. Repaired the damaged insulation all fine.
I didn't even charge them, felt guilty as they were in the eighties and i know another spark would have fleeced them for callouts and fault finding and probably even a new DB!
Oh well rant over.

Fair play to you Paul, that's the trouble with having upfront rcd protection, if it were a split db you would have found the fault more quickly.

Yeh I agree Dave. To be honest I quite enjoyed the challenge. My line of work means I have been carrying out Test and Inspection and design review work for a long time so to get my hands dirty so to speak was good, glad to know I still had 'it' though perhaps slightly slower than some of you guys:)

Nice geture Paul
icon14.png

Mind you, I like the line ( turned up with the family in toe )
Do you have big feet ?
icon7.png

Good work old bean, worked with this guy for a few years and did not know he could get his hands dirty,
Respect although I remember you telling me a few weeks ago you where fitting some new lights for a friend of the family coincidence ?????

Reply to RCD keeps tripping?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net