Discuss RCD Keeps Trpping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

westfielder

Dear all,

The consumer unit main RCD (80A, 30mA)keeps tripping. We've noticed it when my stepson plugs in a laptop on the upstairs ring main and also randomly when nothing else is in use (eg at night) and we suspect it's the fridge freezer turning on and off. (downstairs ring main) or when SWMBO has turned on another appliance.

The individual breakers don't change.

To reset, we have to switch off all the individual breakers then switch on the main RCD and then switch on all the individual ones one by one.

We have solar PV

Do RCDs wear out or become sensitive?

Anythiong I should do before getting an electrician in

Many thanks in advance

Nick

Dear all,

The consumer unit main RCD (80A, 30mA)keeps tripping. We've noticed it when my stepson plugs in a laptop on the upstairs ring main and also randomly when nothing else is in use (eg at night) and we suspect it's the fridge freezer turning on and off. (downstairs ring main) or when SWMBO has turned on another appliance.

The individual breakers don't change.

To reset, we have to switch off all the individual breakers then switch on the main RCD and then switch on all the individual ones one by one.

We have solar PV

Many thanks in advance

Nick

Nope just call a electricain. Would you fiddle with your gas boiler if it was faulty

The only way is to call a good sparky.
it's an intermitant fault ( n/e ) and without the test gear hard to trace

unless you have a test kit and know what your doing your best to call in an expert
as you say it could possibly be an appliance but there is no way of telling without seeing it and c arrying out appropriate test!!

Just disconnect the earths in the board,it won't trip then!!!

Call someone in,for what you'll spend messing about cluelessly randomly replacing parts at least they'll get to the root cause of the problem,which I suspect is a faulty item

Or RCD

Or general wiring issue

Or an earthing strap loose onto the incoming supply.

Anyone like to add?

RCD'S don't become sensitive, they're born sensitive. Earth leakage is a cumulative problem. Lots of small amounts of leakage in several appliances or circuits are seen as a cumulative result by the RCD. You need special test equipment to test the RCD unit and also to find the earth leakage faults. At best all you can do yourself is unplug appliances and see if the problem stops, thereby localising the problem. Even then it's pretty doubtful you could fix it yourself unless it's an obvious problem like a damaged cable or something getting wet for example. I'd recommend you find a well respected local electrician.

Reply to RCD Keeps Trpping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock