Discuss RCD location and trunking in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, was hoping one of you could help. I’m in the process of buying a house and a few things stood out which I don’t believe meet the regs.

Firstly their is an RCD which I believe is wired into the shower. Does this meet the current regs? I was on understanding the RCD would really need to fitted at the CCU not half way down the circuit. (I’ve noticed the RCD casing is cracked anyway so assuming it needs changing. But interested to know if the location is also an issue).

Second question, the bathroom has a cable covered by some trucking for shower isolater. I don’t really feel this would pass testing and inspection, would I be correct on this? Finally the extractor fan has an exposed cable though I can’t see any exposed conductors. I think this would be fine but see what your thoughts are?

I’m currently qualified to level 2 but due to COVID hasn’t been able to change careers to start working as an apprentice. So apologies if I’m asking obvious questions.

Attachments

• 09E98BA6-F715-402C-B13F-40EA8252800D.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 03B8241E-0EAB-47C8-8185-486CC6766AF1.jpeg
    400.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 8AD057D3-6495-4945-93F3-8082F4FB3CDF.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 4F00F03D-0E4F-4DB2-ABA4-0CFA42ACF045.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 37
that pull switch won't last long. it should be on the ceiling. RCD needs replacing ( apparently the feed from CU is not RCD protected). A RCBO in CU is an alternative.

If that RCD really is feeding the shower then no wonder it has cracked. It's a13 amp switched FCU with built in RCD!
Can't quite make out the type name on that Mira shower, but they make pump assisted showers, which run from a loft header tank and a conventional hot water cylinder. IF it's one of those the RCD is at least of adequate rating.
Edit: Opened the pic. on my phone, and blew it up to max. It's a Mira Vigour, which is indeed of the type I suggested.

Can't quite make out the type name on that Mira shower, but they make pump assisted showers, which run from a loft header tank and a conventional hot water cylinder. IF it's one of those the RCD is at least of adequate rating.
Edit: Opened the pic. on my phone, and blew it up to max. It's a Mira Vigour, which is indeed of the type I suggested.

Hard to be certain, but I think you're right.

As best I can tell, it's a Mira Vigour Thermostatic, which requires 3A supply.

Edit: You've already figured this out while I was typing.

well spotted. coconut but no cigar. ??

I think you have covered it.
My opinion is that the RCD should be outside the bathroom but near it if the CU is not covered by RCD.
My setup started as a large shower pump taken from a 13 amp socket ( in the same circuit as the 3amp central heating ) .

This got changed to a digital mixing unit in the loft again taken from the 13 amp socket in the 3amp central heating circuit when bathroom was modernised. All the above was done by a plumber.

I converted the 13 amp socket to an RCD with 3 amp fuse as no RCD in CU.
The only wiring in the shower is a control wire to the shower temp control switch but as there was a very small possibility that the mixer pump wiring (3amp fused) could connect mains voltage onto the extremely low voltage cable so I thought an RCD was worthwhile.

Reply to RCD location and trunking in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net