Discuss RCD minimum times... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

silentboarder69

Hi,
I'm investigating an intermittent problem in a flat. Every once in a while the RCD trips. The tenants have narrowed it down to one circuit, the electric hob. However, it never trips whilst I'm there, even after pouring water on the hob. I've carried out 500v insulation resistance tests, and all OK. I then carried out a ramp test and the RCD trips at 21mA. Is this too sensitive?
The RCD did trip once whilst I was there, but wouldn't trip again.

intermittent fault on one of the elements when warm. only way is to track it down by trial and error. turn 1 element on at a time till you find the 1 that trips the RCD. 21mA is not bad. there could be a small leakage elsewhere.

Black iron heating elements absorbe moisture which can cause earth leakage.
You will also find leakage to earth when the elements are on their way out.
I would switch on each element and look for bright spots which would indicate wher a fault is developing.
If there is no bright spot, then it is most likely just moisture absorbtion.

Do you have a earth leakage clamp meter to see how much its leaking could be if you only have 1 RCD on the CU its the total amount thats sometime putting it over the 21 mA with other appliances switched on.

These faults can be time consuming and frustrating to say the least maybe a RCBO on that circuit if possible to minimise inconveniance!

Reply to RCD minimum times... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, There's 2 single fan ovens in the house my mother recently moved into. Posh elecronic AEG units. It's been sat empty for a year, so the...
Replies
Views
Called out to fault on RCD tripping maybe twice in a month for sometime. Did all the tests & found RCD was faulty, Refitted a new Rcd Type A which...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Have an issue i'd love some advice on if anyone would be so kind. Will try to be brief. Thank you!! So, have an intermittent RCD trip at...
Replies
Views
hello. I'm using leakage clamp meter to investigate nuisance tripping in my house. It is a MULTICOMP PRO MP780050 that I bought early 2021...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock