Discuss RCD Nuisance tripping. HELP! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mattcos1972

Help!.
I changed the CU in my house to dual RCD split board, as many of you know. All tests were fine and everything has been working perfectly in the 2 or 3 weeks since the installation.
Now for the last 2 nights the RCD on one side of the board is tripping in the dead of the night. It literally happens when pretty much nothing is on in the house (just the wireless router and TVs etc on standby).
The RCD is a 30mA / 80A Wylex.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this? Is it possible the RCD is faulty? I considered this but thought it rather strange that the thing only tripped in the wee small hours and not when stuff was actually being used.

I do know for a fact that I have a bit of a mouse issue at the mo and the poison and traps have been set, so hopefully wont have for much longer. The timing of the tripping is certainly in keeping with the hours that mice are awake. Has anyone come across this problem before?
Any suggestions as to where to start to sort this out.

I'll quickly add that thee are only 3 circuits protected by this RCD. The final ring, the radial to the immersion and the lighting. These are all existing circuits in the house and have never been RCD protected up until 3 weeks ago when I fitted the new CU. The three new circuits on the other side of the board are not causing any problems at all.

Should my first port of call be to change the RCD? Should I move circuits 1 by 1 over to the other side of the board to see if the other RCD trips (hence identifying the problem circuit)?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

IMO your suggestion of moving circuits one by one will take longer but at least identify the circuit causing the problem or fit RCBOs

The other thing that springs to mind another post mentioned that Wylex did a recall of products without much if any publicity.

Chris

Why not try swapping your 2 RCDs over. Then if it trips again then you will know if it is 1 of the circuits or not.

Possible fridge motor ...then again it would trip in the day too...Mouse in fridge at night only !?
Unplug fridge.
Our toaster sometimes trips rcd (crumbs on element) so we have banned mice from using it.

Update guys......

Had my plumber mate over today and it seems that my friendly little mouse has eaten the cable connecting the controller to the boiler...hence no boiler for the last 2 days. That would explain the tripping on night 1. He's obviously moved on to the ring circuit now as thats the only other cable in that area.....presumably if he puts tooth to conductor the some leccy will travel through him and therefore not get back to the RCD hence the trip.Theres no doubt in my mind that its a rodent problem, now as i can hear the little sod at night and i now have a dead cable.

Right so now to run in a new boiler cable and put down 1000 mouse traps!!!! grrr!! I'll check the continuity of the ring too, but i am hopeful he hasn't got through that before getting fried!! One thing is for certain.....a rewire is definitely in the post, so its goodbye to my inordinately expensive terracotta kitchen floor!!! :D

Thanks for all your input guys. Much appreciated as always.

Matt

Possible fridge motor ...then again it would trip in the day too...Mouse in fridge at night only !?
Unplug fridge.
Our toaster sometimes trips rcd (crumbs on element) so we have banned mice from using it.

That's not a bad idea. Do the NIC do a warning label I could stick on the toaster telling mice they are not to use it!!!!???:D

One fault I have found for RCD tripping is the auto defrost function on fridges and freezers usually find a dead heating element on the fridge / freezer this normally causes the RCD to trip every 12,24,36 or 48 hours depending on the model of the fridge / freezer and how often the auto defrost kicks in

Last edited:
I would suggest rewire using stainless mi, its a pain to instal I've used on big furnaces, blow lamp and glass flux in pot and dyes needed for thread for pot. Rewire would cost about £8000, but I'll do it for £6000...mice will move out though -;)

Gentleman, I think I can safely say I have found the cause of my nocturnal RCD tripping....AND my non functioning boiler................

.......I have rewired the boiler just incase my little pal gets peckish again tonight!! :D

Attachments

• RCD Nuisance tripping. HELP! photo (1) - EletriciansForums.net
    photo (1).jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 145
Hey all....
Just thought I'd let you know...my mum came to the rescue on this one....she dropped in with a plug in 'sonic mouse annoyer' (obviously not the technical name, but it didnt have a box as she got it of a mate of hers)..anyway it emits a high pitch annoying noise (out of the range of our hearing - and, it seems, my dog's as it doesn't bother him in the slightest either) and basically the mice simply avoid!! Seems to have done the job....3 nights now and not a scuttle to be heard....RCD behaving, boiler boiling and er......Flux Capacitor..... Fluxing!!

Thanks again to everyone for their input and advice, and a Happy Easter to all!

I can see an army of mice forming up with ear defenders on I think you are about to have a counter attack:eek:

Chris

i got sare cat in the offering..!! you want it for 2 weeks end of april..!! (save me on cattery fees) lol

them plug in mouse things are good..! i got mine from my mam as well..!! were do mothers find this stuff...!!

i got sare cat in the offering..!! you want it for 2 weeks end of april..!! (save me on cattery fees) lol

them plug in mouse things are good..! i got mine from my mam as well..!! were do mothers find this stuff...!!

I have no idea where they find these things, but as long as they do I'm not complaining! Good old mums! ;)

My stoopid dog has only come into contact with a cat once and the cat beat the crap out of it!! Better pass on yours, or mutley'll leave home!!

I can see an army of mice forming up with ear defenders on I think you are about to have a counter attack:eek:

Chris

I'm ready Chris! Bring it I say! I hates Mieces to Pieces!! :D

Reply to RCD Nuisance tripping. HELP! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock