Discuss Rcd Omission for additional socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Going to try it first but thinking got is likely it will just trip

If you test the circuit before fitting the RCBO, you'll know if it will trip or not. An old circuit does not necessarily mean there will be an issue. If there is a fault, surely it is better to find and resolve it?

Edit: Freddo beat me too it!

Maybe if it was a job for a customer rather than helping a friend out but always remember being told nothing wrong with adding ontk an existing circuit as long as whatever is being installed does not in any way impair the safety of the existing install- as long as the metre of new cable isn't dangerous, ypu can click your heels on the way out all day long

Maybe if it was a job for a customer rather than helping a friend out but always remember being told nothing wrong with adding ontk an existing circuit as long as whatever is being installed does not in any way impair the safety of the existing install- as long as the metre of new cable isn't dangerous, ypu can click your heels on the way out all day long

Friend or customer, it doesn't matter - the job needs doing properly. If they're getting your time for free, they can stump up for a few parts!

True, never a one to do half a job, either way gonna have to test it first. Anyways,talking of cable,thought the 18th ed was going to make cpcs the same size?
Where did you get that from ? Matching size line and cpcs is Irish regs/cable standards as far as I know.

It sounds like you just want to quickly add a socket for a friend without much hassle as it's for free. It's good of you to do it Alex, but when doing something for a friend it's easy to think it doesn't have to be done to quite the same standard as it's a favour. It really does though. Even if you explain in detail to your friend about the lack of an RCD and the implications, that still doesn't make it right and the next person to move in will be none the wiser.

If you really have to then fit an RCD socket, this will meet the regs but it just seems silly to me as for the same price you could fit an RCBO (if the board will accept it).

I realise you're worried about it tripping, but you just need to do a quick IR test N-E and you'll know. Is there a reason you haven't done this? Do you have test equipment? If you are worried about it tripping then you must be assuming that it has a N-E fault in which case you absolutely couldn't add another socket to it anyway.

Perhaps you've already tested and seen a N-E fault and are trying to bypass this fact? Don't know why I put a question mark though as you're hardly going to put your hand up to that! :smirk:

Sometimes we know the answer to our own question but we just don't like the answer we came to and struggle with it. #RCD

Sometimes we know the answer to our own question but don't like the answer we came to and struggle with it. #RCD

Reply to Rcd Omission for additional socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock