Discuss RCD or not RCD? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Not absolutely sure but apparently that it was the person was told by someone (not known who) so maybe maybe not. Although I get your drift and a good point.

As it’s not domestic you would only need to conduct a risk assessment to omit the additional protection.
Worst thing they did in the regs was remove the dedicated socket omission for additional protection in commercial and industrial installations.

Wish I'd have thought of that when I was putting a socket in for a kitchen fly killer last month.
Never the less what I said is a option?

Given installation methods etc, and this will more then likely be back of house areas.

Being morbid here but risk of shock and death is quite low. Most users of said install are already past there expiry the others will have rubber gloves and boots on which is usual mortuary attire. So I would say No need for rcd.
Being serious it Might be worth checking at back of the regs for special locations as its still considered a medical location. The won't be working on living people buts it's still likely classed as one as surgical procedures and medical imaging devices will be used in the location or close by.

If you install a 63a socket RCD protection will not be needed.
The load may not be 63a but this would take away the risk assessment.
All of the above is IF it must be plugged in.

That's quite a ridiculous way to dodge the regulations.
[automerge]1582240224[/automerge]
So I have to supply a single socket for a morgue fridge and thinking no RCD for no doubt obvious reasons. What does the hive mind think?

I don't see any obvious reason to avoid putting it on an RCD. Assuming this is a dedicated circuit then the RCD will only trip if there is a fault on the circuit or in the fridge, and if the installation method is selected suitably then the circuit will be unlikely to suffer a fault.

Reply to RCD or not RCD? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock