Discuss Rcd or not.... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Chaps...

Just after a bit of guidance please.

I'm so used of RCD everything these days that I install.

But would I be correct in thinking that if I'm carrying out an alteration on a bathroom circuit and no rcd protection is present, then I could install supplementary bonding to bring it up to 17th ?

Many Thanks,

Sy

on refurbs we do when replacing the bathroom lighting we have the option of fitting an rcbo or supplementary bonding whichever is possible.

Just starting doing some work for a bathroom company.......on the spec: new extract fan, shaver point, bath pump spur, change ceiling light and install supplementary bonding.

Had look at job, old rewireables, so straight away informed the customer that RCD protection would be required - suggested a mini cu supplying circuits to be worked on.

Also gave them the option of a full cu change (and they went for that which was good.) But looking into it further I'm thinking that supp bonding would have been sufficient and and an RCD spur for pump.

IF you install an RCD its a better job in my eyes , with the ESC pushing for more RCD protection then thats how i work to at the end of the day could save there life

IF you install an RCD its a better job in my eyes , with the ESC pushing for more RCD protection then thats how i work to at the end of the day could save there life

I agree there, that's why I automatically went down the RCD route, thought it was a bit strange that supp bonding was even on the spec TBH

I agree there, that's why I automatically went down the RCD route, thought it was a bit strange that supp bonding was even on the spec TBH

It is odd these days, supplimentary bonding can be so unsightly so i RCD and main bond then you can omit the supplimentary bonding ,as you are aware , so being able to omit it by using an RCD is good enough for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chaps...

Just after a bit of guidance please.

I'm so used of RCD everything these days that I install.

But would I be correct in thinking that if I'm carrying out an alteration on a bathroom circuit and no rcd protection is present, then I could install supplementary bonding to bring it up to 17th ?

Many Thanks,

Sy

I agree with Truckster.

IF you are replacing like for like then ensure/install supplementary bonding, IF you are installing a NEW, additional or an installation that modifies the original circuit, then must be RCD.

Reply to Rcd or not.... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net