Discuss rcd prob in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wattsup

Problem with RCD on transfer
Help, advice or maybe the problem is, please!
I have a prob with one RCD tripping when on generator supply
When on utility supply all ok.
Basically I have two rcd’s protecting an auto transfer switch control.
One rcd protects when in mains utility supply mode, the other protects when in generator supply.
The transfer works fine, if I mimic a power failure, the generator cuts in, the contactors switch to generator supply, all ok.
When I restore mains power, the contactors revert back and cut out the generator.
Except that when in generator mode, the rcd for the said supply trips.
There is no fault in circuit, tested ok. If I bypass the generator rcd all works fine, but I would rather have the rcd online, if I can fathom why it’s tripping.
rcd prob {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
rcd prob {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

could it be common neutral from the generator feed to the utility supply.

not sure how it's wired but it could be responding like a borrowed neutral = inbalance

is the transfer switch/contactor switching douple pole?

yes dp on all contactors.
Today I bypassed rcd to check voltage L to E, getting 110v L to E, 240v L & N.
Martindale tester says no earth..
So it seems a floating earth, yet all connected as per manufacturers instruction

110v live earth?......i would say rcd is tripping as the gen supply is not all that stable, upstream inbalance can make rcd's trip.........filtering may help

The gen supply is more stable than the grid! +/- 3v, frequency spot on

>>110v live earth?......>> rather than 230v, if using a test lamp I would guess lit dim. (similar to a poor earth, rather than none)

have you tried swapping rcd's,only 2 things that are different,rcd and supply?

if your L to N on the martin dale is when checking the 110v then this would be normal if the 110 supply is split to 55v a leg.

i think the borrowed neutral idea could still be investigated further, even if they are douple pole switches, thinking about it - the neutral will still be common, if you dont mind my saying, set the genny RCD to off and try it, then run the genny with the mains supply to off and see if you still get the nuisance tripping.

not sure if this would work for you, but all else i could possibly think of (without looking at your setup) is that the genny is producing some eddy currents which would account for your loss/inbalance - perhaps!

does the utility supply have a load connected when you are testing?

Last edited by a moderator:
whats the type of the RCD that is tripping? is this a delay issue? would have thought that motor RCD would be type C anyway but worth a check

A bit more info (the suppliers have my money and do not answer emails, phone always on answer machine)
Anyhow..the prob seems to be the neutral earth link (which is advised, if existing rcd on cu to work correctly, in effect config. the gen to supply as the mains is. In this case tn-c-s.
So I link N&E downstream of my new rcd (ouput from gen, at supply point)

So now I am supplying same for same as the grid, neutral earth combined.

This method trips the main gen feed rcd I have installed. (I installed because it is a big clumsy looking metal auto transfer switch, so I reasoned if on gen supply the rcd would give added protection. If I remove the n&e link all ok, except I get 'no earth' or a very poor earth. ( I don't know why, all earths including spikes are combined)

Of course the auto transfer also controls mains grid power, I installed an rcd to protect this part of the installation, that works fine, no problems on mains power, rcd ok earthing ok.

So to sum up, I have two seperate feeds to one transfer switch (both cannot operate at the same time, protected mechanically and electrically) On mains ok, on generator, trip, unless I remove the n&e link at the gen supply, then I get no earth?

I'm thinking I have to remove the rcd protecting the gen feed and replace with an ordinary dp isolator, and then replace neutral earth link from the gen. I assume this will give the real earth and existing rcd in the cu will work correctly, however if I do this the auto transfer switch will not be protected with rcd if under gen power, its not what I expected. I have not come across this scenario before. I know the gen has a floating earth so I must really provide the n e link, to give cover for existing rcd's. Except the bit I did is not covered by rcd, yet the regs say it must be

I knew there was a problem straight away, an outside light. When I installed the rcd for mains protection; switch the outside light on, trip. (the light was on the unprotected side of existing cu) No problem the fitting was full of damp leaves gunge etc, yet on generator feed no trip...Oh no I thought!, no n e link no rcd work, install n e link, trip straight away even if nothing switched on... I may have a problem huston

Can I leave a metal box outside, protected within an ip rated cabinet (similar to a meter cabinet, not sure of ip, 66 I think, without checking rating, but weatherproof
Without rcd protection? The problem is, there is a plug-in 12-core to the unit, control feeds etc. So how is it classed?
I'm only trying to protect one metal box, which really is not used by the customer, they should not go near it, unless of course a trip occurs then it will need resetting

whats the type of the RCD that is tripping? is this a delay issue? would have thought that motor RCD would be type C anyway but worth a check

This looks favourite imo. What do the manufacturers instructions on the genny installation say about type of RCD? Type S?

During the switch over there could be a delay issue for the RCD which is too sensitive for this application?

Also came across this:

Residual current devices on portable generators

earth is earth, you should be connected continuously throughout the circuit. so the earth of the metal should be directly connected to the earth of the mains distribution board, if there is any earth fault it should trip while on mains. if you have neutral and earth linked then it's obviously going to trip while running off the genny (if the switch is double pole) if the switch was single pole i imagine the mains RCD would trip continuously

as another thought - if you are looking to have the supply being uninterruptable, would you really want to risk nuisance tripping resulting in no supply whatsoever when you need it most.

your emergency supply should be bomb proof, or i imagine that is what the client would want?

IP66 is required for weatherproof/outdoors although i believe IP65 will suffice, metal casing is fine withour installed RCD, but you will need a good earth reading to ensure your tripping times are still within the regs at the mains supply.

>>if you have neutral and earth linked then it's obviously going to trip while running off the genny<<<
Sorry I don't get that, the link is on the supply point, not distribution side of rcd.

>>as another thought - if you are looking to have the supply being uninterruptable, would you really want to risk nuisance tripping resulting in no supply whatsoever when you need it most.<<

Nope I don't want nuisance tripping, nor will the client. But I don't write the regs.

Just had a thought-When I fake a power cut by throwing the breaker, the earth neutral will be broken -tncs system...no neutral = no earth? but of course the earth is not broken, the main earth still goes back to utility cut-out (n & e combined)So the genny takes over and is now relying on the earth spike, rather than the linked neutral earth from mains supply. When in genny mode and test at a socket in the property, I get 230v L and N, but only 110v L & E.So I presume the genny neutral is not a 'real neutral' 2 x 110v legs?Is it possible the earth spike is a poor grounding (btw its ****ed it down all week, but maybe the soil condition is 'rocky' or whatever?All earthing; cu, generator frame / main earth / earth spike, transfer box is combined, all wired in 16mm.I just don't get the 'bad earth' when on generator supply.

Perhaps the earth reading is misleading, if both legs supply 110v (I need to check neutral to earth also, but at the time I overlooked..I will do so on Monday...anyhow if the line is only 110v then actually 110v line earth is good, not poor.
Still don't explain the rcd probs with n e link though.

I have installed many big stuff generators before and have not come across this before, but this is a tiny (comparitively) 19kva unit, perhaps previous suppliers pre-configured the set to suit.

I will not use these suppliers again, after sales is very very poor

>>if you have neutral and earth linked then it's obviously going to trip while running off the genny<<<
Sorry I don't get that, the link is on the supply point, not distribution side of rcd.

my apologies, i thought you were saying that there was a neutral earth link in the transfer switch, for some reason...

Nope I don't want nuisance tripping, nor will the client. But I don't write the regs.

what are the circumstances demanding that you have an RCD on the generator side?

If this is a PTO generator, most of these types of generators are dual voltage, 110V and 230V supplied by a split-phase winding, In theory you should be getting 230V between L and N and between L-E and N-E 115V but this is not always the case, these generator are a pain as the generator relay keeps dropping out a lot which will affect electronic equipment, any RCD's should be at the panel as the generator has its own protection, you need to find out about the generator, what is the make/model??

Hi uksel, maybe I'm not reading the regs correctly..but as I understand it, all outside residential electrical equipment must be protected by rcd. The generator is outside, the transfer switch is outside. I cannot trip the generator itself, that is inbuilt, but I ought to be able to protect any equipment it supplies, in this case the auto transfer switch. Also the existing rcd on the users cu will not function correctly if no refference to earth when on generator supply.

That I know is a regulation, the rcd should operate as normal, no matter where the supply comes from. Like I said no problem on mains supply, but on generator (manufacturers reccomend if used for back up, an e n link should be installed from gen output, usually on the commando plug. When I do as instructed, the genny feed protected rcd trips...no probs with mains..

chapter 55, section 1 of the 16th edition regs: Generating Sets

Additional requirements for installations where the generating set provides a switched alternative supply to the distributors network (standby systems).
551-04-03: Protection by automatic disconnection of supply shall not rely upon the connection to the earthed point of the distributor's network when the generator is operating as a switched alternative to a TN system. A suitable earth electrode shall be provided.

Additional requirements for installations where the generating set provides a supply as a switched alternative supply to the distributors network (standby systems).
551-06-02: For TNS systems RCD's shall be positioned to avoid incorrect operation owing to the possibility of a parallel neutral path.

a few things i would point out

- yes, it is the 16th regs - i haven't had the refresher course or bought myself an up to date copy of bs7671
- I believe you said that the earthing system is TNC-s not TNS, but i think it may still apply as your neutral is still not isolated because of the earth connections.

i would gauge an opinion here wether an RCD at the CU is acceptable as means of protection, i think it will be. the generator is outside although it is not a circuit to be protected by a permanent supply, run the supply cables in earther metal conduit to your one way consumer unit and put an overcurrent protection device in there, not an RCD, leave the RCD protection for the clients main consumer unit

would anybody else say this was acceptable or not? perhaps reasons/regulations why also would be nice

Hi uksel, maybe I'm not reading the regs correctly..but as I understand it, all outside residential electrical equipment must be protected by rcd.

regulations i believe in this instance state that RCD's shall be used to offer protection for circuits with the provision to supply portable equipment outdoors.

key word - portable

if this was the regulation you were referring to, it applies to socket outlets. in certain circumstances even the use of over-current devices may be omitted for standy systems :eek: (although i do not think this would apply to your situation)

Mmm, I think this is why the red tape is strangling the industry. For instance it could be said an outside light need not be protected by an rcd/rcbo etc. Yet if read at a different angle it should be protected?
Likewise anyone can plug the lawn mower into a front room socket, not protected. Cut the lawn back garden, into kitchen socket it must be protected.
Anyhow thats by the by.

I agree entirely, the gen feed should be wired according to normal rules regards cable size and a suitable overcurrent device. But the key points of regs argue temp or otherwise should be treated the same.

In actual fact I can't see any other way but to swap the rcd for a normal 40a dp isolator with a 32a breaker fitted feeding the transfer switch. All wired in 10mm 3-core swa...thats how its wired at the moment.

The transfer switch is rated 100amp so mains are as normal, 25mm tails

if you're going to be supplying the domestic consumer unit then i would probably suggest going a lot bigger than a 32A breaker. i would imagine either the same size as the breaker in the CU or larger. perhaps put a 80A DP breaker at the consumer unit and a 100A DP breaker in the one way consumer unit?

if it's wired the way i am assuming it is anyway...

That is not practical nor makes sense, the gen can supply 40 amps max, if I allow 100 amps the gen will go into melt down. Also the cable supply from the set would need to be able to cope with 100 amps, so would the breaker. So I would need a min 16mm from the set. The set cannot supply 100 amps, so the breaking point is 35amps or thereabouts. A 32 amp breaker will protect the cable (10mm) and the generator.

Maybe I ain't been clear, or perhaps the understanding of the changeover switch is not clear. This is a backup genset with limited output (emergency use only)

The changeover switch can handle 100 amps, but it needs to, because 90% of the time it controls mains utility input

It would be very unwise and make no economical sense to oversize cables and breaker from the gen supply.

The 32 amp breaker will trip if prolonged @ 40 amps, just what I want.

you don't remember you mentioning the max current output of the set > neither it's intention for only a limited supply backup

if your set is connected directly to the main breaker of the CU when in use and there is plenty going on in the installation ie. over 40A which is easily do-able, then the genny breaker is going to trip straight away is it not?? or is it not an instantaneous switchover?

sorry if some of this seems remedial to you, but it's hard to picture what's happening without seeing it infront of me...

Yes if over 40 amp on changeover the gen feed will trip (i hope)
However the customer will be aware when on gen feed, and realise load needs to be reduced, then flick the gen breaker back on..I thought I mentioned earlier 19kva..it is unlikely however, average load at peak times is 30amps. Most times much lower.

No, not instantious in the true sense, most generators will not give instant backup (unless spending £££££££££££££££, the set stablizes before it provides power, if acceptable the feed will energise...normally a 20/30 second delay

Reply to rcd prob in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock