Discuss rcd problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi any answers on why is my washing machine on upstairs ring main causing tripping of rcd,so I then ran a extension lead and run washing machine from downstairs ring and have no problems?

i would suggest unplugging all other appliances from the rfc thats tripping then plug in the washing machine and see if it still trips..if it doesnt it means simon is right and its accumulative leakage.

Hi any answers on why is my washing machine on upstairs ring main causing tripping of rcd,so I then ran a extension lead and run washing machine from downstairs ring and have no problems?

Possible that there is a N-E fault on the upstairs ring and a load current (the washing machine) is partly returning via the earth rather than neutral. Try plugging a different heavy load (heater/kettle etc)into the upstairs circuit and see if the RCD trips which would support that possibility.
These kind of things need proper testing though,there's endless possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to rcd problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi Guys, I'm having trouble diagnosing a fault on a customers downstairs socket ring, which only ever trips when the washing machine is used. The...
Replies
Views
Hj our washing machine tripped out electrics the other day. Everytime we switched it in the electrics cut out. We noticed a larger bend in the...
Replies
Views
I have just checked a double outlet and it trips at 18ma. It was supposed to be faulty. Washing machine had a bad heater which got replaced but...
Replies
Views
I decided to get solar panels, the inverter instructions say one can use type AC, so the existing 14 x RCBO CU seems OK, may be a good idea to fit...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have lifetime experience (50+ years) in United States with basic knowledge of split phase 120/240 volts replacing wall switches and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock