Discuss Rcd problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Skelp99

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys.
needs a little advice.
got some garden lights on external sockets all coming back into to the house and terminates on a rcd spur.A light went faulty tripping a fuse on the main board.Looks like a faulty rcd spur.Question is. .I use the rcd test switch as an on off switch for the garden lights...has this caused the rcd fault. .or should I have a separate on off switch and leave the rcd spur fully powered?

Most likely the fault is on the external socket/lights, so you should have them tested.

As a general rule MCBs and RCDs are not designed to be used as functional switches, i.e. operated every day as the normal means of power control. So you really would be better having a dedicated switch if you plan on controlling the lights that way. For controlling a 13A external socket you can use a 20A double-pole switch such as this:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-lo...itch-white-with-neon-with-white-inserts/13014

Or the slightly cheaper version without the power indicator neon. However, it is good practice to test RCD regularly, and it is very unlikely to be the reason for your current problem.

sounds like the lamp blowing activated the MCB/fuse... this is common. The RCD may not have seen a L-N imbalance and would not have tripped. I assume that's what made OP think RCD is faulty.If the test button works, it's probably OK< but a proper test would confirm.

Last edited:
A light went faulty tripping a fuse on the main board.Looks like a faulty rcd spur.
Is it still faulty after restting the main board?

If you unplug the lights and test the RCD is it working OK on the test button?

If in doubt then get someone in to properly test it!

Reply to Rcd problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net