Discuss rcd problems please help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

demkap

hi there i need a bit of help basically the rcd trips and the shower mcb trips the same time. then its ok for a day then it randomly does it during the night etc even when the shower isnt in use, any ideas?

Have you done an IR test to start with, if the mcb trips when there is no load on the circuit i can only assume there is a problem with the mains incoming side of the shower causing the short!

nope i will do though but it doesnt trip everytime... flicked breaker and rcd back up and then was ok but the next morning the rcd and shower mcb tripped.

- - - Updated - - -

its weird that the mcb trips aswell that would mean theres a overload i believe?

it would seem to be that shower circuit wouldnt it if its the only that keeps tripping guys? how about i do some tests on it r1 + r2 and zs tests?

it would seem to be that shower circuit wouldnt it if its the only that keeps tripping guys? how about i do some tests on it r1 + r2 and zs tests?
wander lead out....method 2 on it...
and IR as well...
thats on the cable....if its clear then move on to the shower....IR cold....then warm it up...and IR again...

If the shower is tripping when it is not in use then its would lean more to a faulty cable/connection due to the fact there is no load being used surely ?
Therefore check all connections you can access, do IR test then r1 + r2 see if any reading look out of place!

Zs test will probably not tell you that much in relation to the fault !
Has the shower been working for a while and this falut just appeared?

If the shower is tripping when it is not in use then its would lean more to a faulty cable/connection due to the fact there is no load being used surely ?
Therefore check all connections you can access, do IR test then r1 + r2 see if any reading look out of place!

Zs test will probably not tell you that much in relation to the fault !
Has the shower been working for a while and this falut just appeared?
(R1 R2) before IR to ensure all portions of the circuit are being subjected to the test

yep shower was installed 6 years ago yea so if i disconnect the loads side and do a IR test if i get anything under >200mohms theres a cut or something in the cable?

Reply to rcd problems please help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net