Discuss RCD protect conservatory in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Simon New

EF Member
Hi,

My conservatory has 4 x double sockets and operates from a 13amp switched fused spur.
I've just run an outdoor double socket from one of the inside sockets so I can use a fishpond pump.

Q: Should I of used a RCD protected outdoor socket or am I ok replying on the internal 13amp fused spur?

Or would I be better of replacing the 13amp fused spur for a RCD proected version which then would protect all the sockets in the conservatory?

TIA.

OP
S

Simon New

EF Member
Thanks Barnaby.
Yes Pete the CU does supply RCD protection to the whole of the house, which then leads on to the fused spur switch in the conservatory.

I suppose my original question should of added, what would the benefit of me putting a rcd double socket outdoors insead of the cheaper standard outdoor socket?

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
If your whole house is protected by an RCD the provided it is tested satisfactorily then you should be OK

Reactions: DPG

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
agree, pete. 1 RCD protecting the circuit is all he needs. 2 RCDs in series is "a RCD too far".

anyway, pete, how,s you doin ? the wine still flowing through your veins?

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
agree, pete. 1 RCD protecting the circuit is all he needs. 2 RCDs in series is "a RCD too far".

anyway, pete, how,s you doin ? the wine still flowing through your veins?
Fine Ta Tel, yes just having a transfusion as we speak.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
i just opened a Old Peculier. goes well with cheese on toast. proper food when 'er indoors gets back off her jolly. ( caravan with a mate over weekend).

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
it's true, mate. her mate's birthdaysaturday, so they gon on a jolly.sadly she has to cut short as daughter is unwell.she be back later. i need to tidy up and kick out the floozy.

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
Another thread hijacked by small talk.
Sorry, OP.

As others have said, having 2 rcd’s in series can be a nuisance. A fault outside may trip either or both rcd’s
You will also be aware that you have 5 points on a radial circuit limited by the 13A fuse. Can’t go plugging in loads of heaters in the conservatory in the winter.

Matthewd29

Regular EF Member
Thanks Barnaby.
Yes Pete the CU does supply RCD protection to the whole of the house, which then leads on to the fused spur switch in the conservatory.

I suppose my original question should of added, what would the benefit of me putting a rcd double socket outdoors insead of the cheaper standard outdoor socket?
There is no benefit as you already have RCD protection at the consumer unit

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.