Discuss RCD protected .. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
On the coming job i have to do a new wiring on massive shop.Deal its between me and show owned.There its about 200 m2 place with shelf's where shoes and handbag have to display.+ reception + office + 3 toilets + shower .I don't have any problem to to this job but im not clear on the RCD protected.Main supply its 3P+N.Most of my previous work its with single phase and domestic.As i know the shops its classified as commercial premises.What its the requirement for RCD protection on this premises.I never see before 3 phase CU with RCD.I see Merlin Gerin CU with 3phase RCD as main switch but never like split board.What i have to do on this situation..

sockets for use by ordinary persons require RCD protection. circuits in bath/shower rooms need RCD protection. cables buried in walls, unless mechanically protected, need RCD protection. the regs. are the same for commercial as domestic. the only let out is equipment for use by skilled or instructed persons.

Thanks teletrick..

i know i have to protected all circuits by RCD but i never see 3 phase CU with split RCD..i can't install all circuit on 1 RCD..The short way its with RCBO but there probably its 22 - 26 circuits and RCBO its very expensive.I don't want to spend thousand pound on CU..

Thanks teletrick..

i know i have to protected all circuits by RCD but i never see 3 phase CU with split RCD..i can't install all circuit on 1 RCD..The short way its with RCBO but there probably its 22 - 26 circuits and RCBO its very expensive.I don't want to spend thousand pound on CU..

You have the option of splitting down to single phase boards.

As Archy says....

Not sure of the layout, but nothing to stop you sticking some extra CU's in....infact, considering the size of the shop it'd probably make sense.

Sound a little like out of depth here,

Talk to a supplier and get a three phase board I'd go for a Schneider and put RCBOs in there and MCB if required,
Should be easy enough

As Dizzy just asked - are you entirely sure you're inside your skill-set with this one? It's not the most complex of electrical challenges.

Although....200m2 isn't exactly what I'd call massive, either, and most of that is lighting load. If you've no 3ph kit in the building then you could look at a small frame 3ph board for primarily lighting, then use a 1ph RCD board fed from it to feed sockets and showers. Make sure your loads are balanced, and watch out for flicker-effect on the lights.

That 200[SUP]2[/SUP]m may not be your typical asdas

It does not sound too much like a "massive" shop
Even down my neck of the woods,they are usually called "corner"

10m x 20m is about the size of my wallet, unfortunately its just filled to the brim with fuel receipts and my business cards

Thank you to all.

As i read on all your thread something its misunderstand .Just place where the shoes and handbag its 200 m square.Not 200x200.Its not like asda.Im qualified electricians buts as i say on the first thread i fix 3 phase board but because of limited experiences on the commercial premises i was bit confused for about 3 phase rcd protected CU.As i understand on all your replay its possible to fix 2 single phase board with rdc as one.Or because of many lighting circuits i can fix one split board just for light and one for other circuits..

Due to limited experiences on the 3 phase system i have a question.In general ( not just on this situation ) if the supply its 3 phase and i need just one phase or two.Can i use that i need and live blank other two or definitely im forced to use three phase..

Thop owner say the drawing its prepare from the architect and i see them its correct..

Its customary to leave a space after a full stop. 3 x single phase split load boards should be adequate.

Reply to RCD protected .. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock