Discuss RCD protection for existing circuits?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davidmartin

I have just come across a periodic report that stated that an existing ring main required RCD protection in a commercial property that requires a safety certificate. The property landlord should have had the safety cert prior to leasing, but did not and has washed his hands of the responsibility. The tenant is obviously concerned and does not want the expense of changing his 3 phase DB. So I was wandering, if he is nominated as the only user of the sockets and they are duly indelibly marked, could this get around the requirement. Where there may be a requirement for any of the shopworkers or cleaners to use any specific socket, could these be changed to sockets with RDC integrated protection? Would this count as compliant....and indeed does he need to concern about this report comment regarding RCD neccesity, seeing as this is an existing circuit that has had no changes/alterations or additions.
In anticipation..thanks

The way I understand it...if the premises is under the control of a "skilled person" then RCD is not required. A "skilled person" is defined as someone with technical knowledge or sufficient experience to avoid danger from electricity....

• Ordinary Person – Someone who is neither skilled or instructed
    e.g. General public / Home owner
  • Skilled Person – A person with technical knowledge or experience to enable him/her to avoid dangers which electricity may create
    e.g. Qualified Electrician
  • Instructed Person – A person who has been adequately advised or supervised to enable him/her to avoid dangers which electricity may create
    e.g. Facilities Manager
Typically commercial installations will be under the control of a Skilled or Instructed Person. However domestic and some commercial installations will not. This is particularly important, as certain Regulations only apply to installations not under the supervision of a Skilled or Instructed Person. A significant change is the introduction of Regulations requiring additional protection by RCDs. There are 3 points of consideration,

1. Socket Outlets
  2. Cables buried in walls
  3. Locations containing a bath or shower

Reply to RCD protection for existing circuits?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net