Discuss Rcd Protection For Supply To A Transformer On Construction Site? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't know what the UK regs say about it but it would seem a pointless exercise and unnecessary expense.

The way I look at it the TX is an item of equipment so it needs to be fed safely. If the circuit calls for rcd protection then it should be used, before rcd's was also before 11ov on building sites and a lot of accidents happened, thus the implementation of transformers.
If the feed to the transformer is in another building then, if following regs an rcd should be fitted. thats the way I read it anyway.
I've got my blindfold on I've smoked my last cigarette, so fire away.lol

do you get 110v from + and - ....or still only 55v.....................would you protect the transformer mcbs with an rcd, if so how would you test the rcd protecting the 110 circuits

think it's a hypothetical thread, tony. OP was nearly 2 years ago.

As a site transformer should provide isolation between the primary and the centre earthed secondary, I will let you sketch the earth fault current and then present an answer.

the l n are seperated but the earth flows back to source....so no.....so if the cable going into the tx is terminated into an rcd this is also primary side and also would not trip if same senario

so ive found out that you can test at 55v and the rcd should be on the secondary side and the rcd really should be designed for 110 use, i got there in the end and all the doubters abviously didnt know this....thanks for the pro active comments, all i need to find out now is exactly how you test it

you can buy megger rcd testers that let you test 110v cte, and it enables longer lengths of cable curing efli measurements......not sure how effective they are as additional protection......or how you would test the 110v rcd....i suppose using the prongs on the l e and n at end of female plugs........i can understand protecting the armoured with an rcd as the breaker is 50a in my case, but i cant get an rcbo that size.....only saying this as its an electrical forum and if i said this to my mrs she would leave me....---

Reply to Rcd Protection For Supply To A Transformer On Construction Site? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net