• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss RCD protection maths? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

spud1

Regular EF Member
Hi all,

My colleague and I were having a discussion today about RCD protection, as you do, and the reasoning behind why it is stipulated that 30mA should be the rating of an RCD for additional protection. Now we all know the rules regarding the maximum trip times for the various tests, but I just wanted to understand it more and ask how the maths works? Is an earth fault of 30mA at the various maximum trip times a significant figure in terms of survivable electric shock? Im not sure I quite fully 'get' how the 40msx1 and the 200/300msx5 rule works mathematically? Does it bear any relation to the 0.4secs disconnection time that we are supposed to achieve for circuits <32A and or distribution circuits in TN systems? and the 0.2secs for TT...?

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
30mA for 300mS is considered to be a surviveable through the body current. some say 10mA would be even safer, though with today's electronic gear everywhere, that would probably cause nuisance trips. the 5x figure assumes that a 150mA current needs interrupting quicker.

spud1

Regular EF Member
Thanks Telectrix. So does the 300mS bear any relation to our 0.4sec (400mS) maximum disconnection time? And why are the older 4293 RCDs afforded a 200mS threshold?

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
Thanks Telectrix. So does the 300mS bear any relation to our 0.4sec (400mS) maximum disconnection time? And why are the older 4293 RCDs afforded a 200mS threshold?
no relation. the 0.4 secs.is the disconnect time for fault protection, whereas the RCD is for additional protection.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
Beama guide answers my questions thanks guys ! Thanks too tel for clarification on disconnection time.

Love this forum!
just send a magnum or 2 of scrumpy. :):):).

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.