Discuss RCD protection on bathroom lighting. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dean31

Hi Guys,

Need some advise on RCD protection, I have just tested 112 rooms in a Travelodge in Wales and there is no RCD protection on the bathroom lights, the ceiling is over 2.25m and the light fitting is a L.E.D class 2.

Looking in the regs in section 701 & 415 and from posts I have read on here they need RCD protection but I just wanted to get a few more opinions as the hotel is only 5 years old and surely this wouldn't have been missed when designed.

Many thanks

If you'd have said domestic, to be honest, i'd of said forget the RCD, 2.25m high ceiling, Class 2 IP44 light fittings, what's the point!!

But it's relating to a hotel, which puts a whole new dimension on the word Safety in my book!! As daft as it may seem, you'll need to give these bathroom lights additional RCD protection, if only to cover your arse!!!

I am not sure, the bathrooms are completely tiled so unable to remove units to see, they are just shower cubicles and no bath. They only thing I can see from the riser cupboard on the corridors which on some of the rooms are directly behind the bathroom are earthed bolts coming through the wall.

Thanks mate that's what I thought but thought I would see what others thought before I put in a quote for 112 RCBO's which will not be cheap.

I am not sure, the bathrooms are completely tiled so unable to remove units to see, they are just shower cubicles and no bath. They only thing I can see from the riser cupboard on the corridors which on some of the rooms are directly behind the bathroom are earthed bolts coming through the wall.

Any chance of a photo or two of this earthing bolt you're talking about, ....i'm intrigued?? By the way, if you haven't dropped the light fittings , how do you know for sure they are class 2 fittings??

Hi Guys,

Need some advise on RCD protection, I have just tested 112 rooms in a Travelodge in Wales and there is no RCD protection on the bathroom lights, the ceiling is over 2.25m and the light fitting is a L.E.D class 2.

Looking in the regs in section 701 & 415 and from posts I have read on here they need RCD protection but I just wanted to get a few more opinions as the hotel is only 5 years old and surely this wouldn't have been missed when designed.

Many thanks

This could be 2008 borderline -if the '5 years old' is estimated
The lights are definitely mains voltage (not elv), yes?
No certification from new install?

Last edited by a moderator:
i would assume thatr there are several rooms on a circuit so 1 RCBO could well protect 10-12 rooms' lighting circuits.

I would say a code 3 as well. Also, the switches are normally plastic, so not really got a chance of getting a shock.

Regards,
sav

Reply to RCD protection on bathroom lighting. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net