Discuss rcd protection on sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi guys if a bank of 20 sockets wired in surface trunking on a radial circuit,these sockets would be used for computers gameboys and music equipment,my question is would they need to be rcd protected ? i know normally they would not,it's just that my mate said if protecting computers they should, i cannot find anything on this

hi guys if a bank of 20 sockets wired in surface trunking on a radial circuit,these sockets would be used for computers gameboys and music equipment,my question is would they need to be rcd protected ? i know normally they would not,it's just that my mate said if protecting computers they should, i cannot find anything on this
If the said socket outlet circuit is subject to high earth leakage current then the circuit needs to be wired differently than a normal Ring FC or Radial FC as per Regulation 543.7.1.201 information can be found on page 81 OSG and Figures 7.5.3 (1) and 7.5.3 (11) Page 82 OSG

If the said socket outlet circuit is subject to high earth leakage current then the circuit needs to be wired differently than a normal Ring FC or Radial FC as per Regulation 543.7.1.201 information can be found on page 81 OSG and Figures 7.5.3 (1) and 7.5.3 (11) Page 82 OSG
i would be running a separate earth along with dual earth terminals just cannot see anything regarding rcd

to omit RCD protection for these sockets, you would have to do a written risk assessment justifying a reason why. what's to stop someone plugging in a faulty appliance?

to omit RCD protection for these sockets, you would have to do a written risk assessment justifying a reason why. what's to stop someone plugging in a faulty appliance?
these sockets are for my friend and will be solely for computer and stereo equipment and not for outdoor purposes etc

Unless the sockets are intended for specific items of equipment, they will need RCD protection.
Haven’t gotten round to checking whether the 18th has changed this.
It is still in the 18th Ed.

411.3.3 Additional protection requirements for socket-outlets and for the supply of mobile equipment for use outdoors
In AC systems, additional protection by means of an RCD with a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30mA shall be provided for:
(i)socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 32A, and
(ii)mobile equipment with a current rating not exceeding 32A for use outdoors.
An exception to (i) is permitted where, other than for an installation in a dwelling, a documented risk assessment determines that RCD protection is not necessary.

Reply to rcd protection on sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock