Discuss rcd protection on sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have just spoken to nappit who have confirmed sockets wired in surface trunking and are going to be used for computers do not have to be RCD protected, but have to be labelled, this will change come January 1st
Why didnt you just look it up in your copy of the regs?

I have just spoken to nappit who have confirmed sockets wired in surface trunking and are going to be used for computers do not have to be RCD protected, but have to be labelled, this will change come January 1st
How are you guaranteeing they will only be used for computers, you still haven't stated the need to avoid rcd protection.

My thoughts were because of the amount of equipment that is going to be plugged in, wanted to minimise nuisance tripping, however could use a rcbo
Deleted not enough info for my reply

This is a matter of being sensible and reasonable. If the total leakage is enough to cause nuisance tripping, it's possibly enough to cause injury. He's planning to be using the circuit for handheld devices etc where the user might be the only earth path, so rather than pretending the problem doesn't exist, a high-integrity earth is probably warranted. Correctly specced RCDs / RCBOs will not suffer from nuisance tripping, so don't put people deliberately at greater risk by omitting them.

The exemption is to deal with specific situations where the socket is only ever going to be used for a specified piece of equipment, that might need to be taken down for service or fitted after wiring is completed etc. so needs a plug, as per the roller shutter mentioned. Permanently installed networking hardware is another, where a socket is needed because the power supply is a plug-in wall-wart type, but the equipment is permanent. No-one is going to plug a vacuum cleaner with a gashed flex or damaged Game Boy power adaptor into the dedicated socket above the office ceiling in place of the network switch. A socket on the wall in a house is different - there is no valid reason for exemption.

I think you are treading dangerously omitting additional rcd protection on the grounds you will label them computer use on the say so of your mate. Labelling of sockets for specific use often renders them as such due to their location eg. behind a fridge. The sockets you intend to install could be used for any purpose and if the worse came to the worst neither NAPIT or your mate will be holding your hand in a court of law.

I did say they are for a friend who assures me they are for his computers only
Hitler assured Chamberlain that his territorial needs were fulfilled after invading Czechoslovakia. (xcuse spelling if it'swrong).

Thanks for your replies I'll use a rcbo
If you are worried about nuisance tripping, if practically possible, why not split the radial into 2 or 3 circuits rather than one? As Lucien mentioned, if the accumulative earth leakage is sufficient to trip the rcd then it could be dangerously high anyhow, potentially making the circuit unsafe to use. Omitting the rcd rather than re-designing the install is not the answer. It is your duty as an electrician to design any install to a safe standard for all possible scenarios.

You cannot rely on a person's "word" that nothing else will ever be plugged in. You know as well as I do that this just doesn't happen in real life.

I think you are doing the right thing by installing a rcbo

Reply to rcd protection on sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock