Discuss RCD protection or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PhilB

Today I went to a building approximately 15/20 years old that has had some structural & electrical renovation done this past summer. The building is to be used as a resedential home for adults with learning disabilities. I've no idea who did the electrical work but during the course of changing some light switches i noticed that the electric showers that have been recently installed (one in each en-suite) along with other modifications to the exisitng light circuits etc there is no RCD protection to the showers or to the wiring enclosed within the stud walls etc.

Does this building come under commercial or domestic or would that make any difference?

I also thought that showers and other electrical equipment had to be installed as to the manufacturers specification in which case they would stipulate that showers have to be RCD protected regardless of whether the premises were classed as commercial or domestic. Overall the installation looks a decent job but i didn't want to blow any whistles as it were until i'd done my homework. The exisiting board is a 16th Edition split load so the sockets are already covered, the showers are fed from a 16mm T&E cabled sub-main with no additional earth cable running alongside. :confused:

If the building had some refurb work including new showers recently then of course it needs RCD protection. Have you seen the install certificate, if not then that's your answer no cert. no testing and no RCD's . All too common I'm afraid

There is only one exception to providing RCD protection for circuits of a location containing a bath or shower.
That's when a shower is only for emergency use.
In all other instances, whether it be domestic, commercial, industrial, under the control of a skilled or instructed person, etc. RCD protection must be provided, and it must protect the circuit, not just the shower.

Today I went to a building approximately 15/20 years old that has had some structural & electrical renovation done this past summer. The building is to be used as a resedential home for adults with learning disabilities. I've no idea who did the electrical work but during the course of changing some light switches i noticed that the electric showers that have been recently installed (one in each en-suite) along with other modifications to the exisitng light circuits etc there is no RCD protection to the showers or to the wiring enclosed within the stud walls etc.

Does this building come under commercial or domestic or would that make any difference?

I also thought that showers and other electrical equipment had to be installed as to the manufacturers specification in which case they would stipulate that showers have to be RCD protected regardless of whether the premises were classed as commercial or domestic. Overall the installation looks a decent job but i didn't want to blow any whistles as it were until i'd done my homework. The exisiting board is a 16th Edition split load so the sockets are already covered, the showers are fed from a 16mm T&E cabled sub-main with no additional earth cable running alongside. :confused:
what board is it?.....
have you had the front off to make sure they aint RCBOs lurkin in there?....
some RCBOs can be difficult to spot unless close up....merlin gerin`s spring to mind here....

what board is it?.....
have you had the front off to make sure they aint RCBOs lurkin in there?....
some RCBOs can be difficult to spot unless close up....merlin gerin`s spring to mind here....

Definitely a 16th edition split load, definitely no RCBO's on board either I did check that. The board is a Crabtree star breaker. The sub main is fed straight from the 100 amp phase block then into a 100amp MEM type cartridge fuse switch/isolator then directly to the sub board upstairs, that too is a 8/10 way Crabtree 100amp main switch standard unit. Am going to find out if there is a certificate lurking somewhere to see what has been entered onto it. Cheers for the input.

Reply to RCD protection or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net