Discuss RCD Protection requires or not? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

HRL

Hi there all,

I've been asked to do some work in a recently refurbished college, It was fully rewired and a very descent job was carried out indeed, however there is no RCD protection :confused:...

When I questioned the caretaker within the premesis he informed me that the installatio guys told him there was no need for any RCD protection all the time there is a skill tradesman onsite or a permeanently based caretaker onsite...

When I have asked about somebody told me that there is some regulation which states this but to be honest I don't ever remember hearing it and I definately couldn't find it in the reg's anywhere...
Could anybody enlighten me or point me in the right direction if such a reg exists?

It is a commercial registered building with a single phase supply feeding an MEM TP&N 12-way board with the shorting link, if this makes any difference....

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ryan

Have a look at these regs.

Where a cable is buried in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50mm on either side it must be sufficiently mechanically protected against penetration OR RCD protected AND installed either horizontally within 150mm of the top of the wall or vertically within 150mm of the angle formed where two walls meet or run horizontally or vertically to an accessory, luminaire or ccu. 522.6.6, 522.6.7.
This applies to a cable in a partition constructed using metallic parts other than fixings irrespective of the cable depth. 522.6.8

Unless specifically labelled or suitably identified, all 13A socket outlets must be protected by a 30ma Rcd. 411.3.3

Thanks for the quick reply, do you therefore believe the same as me?
I dont see how having somebody on site offers the same protection as an RCD :rolleyes:

That thing about having a skilled person does ring a bell though..... Can't think where from. Could just be labelling or something.

The skilled person should be aware of where not to go drilling walls and be aware of buried cables routes

If there is a skilled person then Rcd can be ommited
Now what constitutes a skilled person depends on the view of the designer and that can be the great unknown

They brought in the RCd anything that exists regs to allow for Diyers and cowboy installs,then it dawned on them. this would couse havoc in some commercial and industrial installations,so they thought up the skilled person nonesense to try and make sense of it all

Does that sound sound a reasonable reason?
It makes more sense to me than the Rcd troubles they gave birth to with the catch all insistence of Rcds

However, if the job was installed to 16th edition or 17th edition, socket outlets should be RCD protected.

As Des 56's post,it's a get out clause where RCD'd sockets would be a liability,loads of computers etc.....bear in mind that only a few years ago the requirement was only to RCD sockets which might reasonably be expected to supply equipment outdoors.....all those socket outlets installed at that time and not on an RCD cannot suddenly be deemed to be unsafe.

Reply to RCD Protection requires or not? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock