Discuss RCD protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good afternoon all. So question for you; if you were doing some minor works on property and noticed lighting circuits are not on RCD protection would you advise the customer? I looked at a small job and mentioned changing mcbs for rcbos. I know there’s people who would just do the work and go, but for the MWC I know you need to record RCD.

If you are altering the lighting circuit then your change needs to have RCD protection.
There’s no ‘alterations’ on the two light fittings being changed 1 for 1 indoors. The outdoor security light is being moved and installed on correct outdoor cable (not the T&E it’s currently on.

You don't have to record an rcd reading on a Minor Works. If your work does not require one and there isn't one then it doesn't apply.

You don't have to record an rcd reading on a Minor Works. If your work does not require one and there isn't one then it doesn't apply.
So, if there isn’t one already fitted, and I’m only changing like for like I can ignore the fact that there’s no RCD protection on the circuit? I use electraform for my certs, and the RCD recording is on there.
[automerge]1568654765[/automerge]
So, maybe I’m being a bit special now (nothing new for me!). If I’m just doing like for like changes, no cert required. Only need cert for the new security light at front of house?

All Minor Works have a section for rcd readings, doesn't mean to say you have to fit one so you can put a reading in there.

So, if there isn’t one already fitted, and I’m only changing like for like I can ignore the fact that there’s no RCD protection on the circuit? I use electraform for my certs, and the RCD recording is on there.
[automerge]1568654765[/automerge]
So, maybe I’m being a bit special now (nothing new for me!). If I’m just doing like for like changes, no cert required. Only need cert for the new security light at front of house?
It’s that line in the regs “may be used for the replacement of equipment”
[automerge]1568655429[/automerge]
All Minor Works have a section for rcd readings, doesn't mean to say you have to fit one so you can put a reading in there.
Right, with you. Guess I’m just being over cautious/ over engineering things.

If you are extending the lighting circuit and assuming this is domestic then additional rcd protection would be required.
I’m extending the cable to the rear security light. The front security light will be run from other feed. So, if I’m just extending the length and type of cable, would I need to give this a cert & ensure it has adequate RCD protection.

I know I’ve been asking questions; just like to get things right as I know there are people out there who would just go and change the lights, extend the outdoor light cable to the rear and fit a new light to the front and just take the money and go. I just want to d jobs right, so when I walk away I know that if someone were to look at it etc, all the requirements have been met. I know the customer would not have known about the requirements for RCD protection on lighting circuits now, but I felt the need to at least explain. Am I being too much of a princess over this matter or am I doing as it should be done?

I know I’ve been asking questions; just like to get things right as I know there are people out there who would just go and change the lights, extend the outdoor light cable to the rear and fit a new light to the front and just take the money and go. I just want to d jobs right, so when I walk away I know that if someone were to look at it etc, all the requirements have been met. I know the customer would not have known about the requirements for RCD protection on lighting circuits now, but I felt the need to at least explain. Am I being too much of a princess over this matter or am I doing as it should be done?
This sounds like you're just repeating your original question. Is there a particular answer you're after ?
If you want to do jobs right, do them right. If you don't, join the herd.

Sounds like you want to do the job right. You know you’re making an alteration to the circuit. It’s not 1 for 1. So you know you’ve got to add RCD protection. An RCBO won’t break the bank and you’ll comply with the current regs. Explain to the customer the additional safety implications and that regulations changed in January. Most will be happy to pay extra for a good nights sleep. If you’re doing multiple circuits the costs adds up but any customer that doesn’t want to pay for one or two RCBOs, you’ve got to ask is it worth it? Worth your reputation? Would you want to use it as a show job to an inspector?

Reply to RCD protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock