Discuss RCD protection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

No not new been doing it for years , just a grey area to me of when we should class no RCD to sockets a c2 when it’s a building that’s older and open to public
The age of an installation isn't overly relevant. Code 3 would be a statement of fact that socket outlets do not have additional rcd protection, a recommendation of improvement. Code 2 you are implying a situation warranting urgent attention, if you can justify this with evidence that such a situation is pending then that is acceptable.

The age of an installation isn't overly relevant. Code 3 would be a statement of fact that socket outlets do not have additional rcd protection, a recommendation of improvement. Code 2 you are implying a situation warranting urgent attention, if you can justify this with evidence that such a situation is pending then that is acceptable.
So the situation where historically no RCD protection has ever been in place say a 30 year old install and we now have public accessing socket outlets for use and for use of machines plugged into the sockets would that not require RCD protection

The fact public have access again is not really relevant they are no different to employed staff they all share the same risk.

So the situation where historically no RCD protection has ever been in place say a 30 year old install and we now have public accessing socket outlets for use and for use of machines plugged into the sockets would that not require RCD protection

Historical requirements are irrelevant, you carry out the report to the current version of bs7671.

As such General purpose socket outlets without RCD protection would be coded a minimum C3, however if the lack of RCD protection is considered to be potentially dangerous then a C2 would be appropriate.

If the sockets in question are supplying power to fixed, or not easily movable, equipment such as amusements, are not readily accessible etc etc then I would suggest that maybe they wouldn't need RCD protection at all. And then following suitable assessment of the risks no code may be necessary.

Gavin, all you can do is assess whether or not, how likely there is and the severity of a potential danger. The guide to coding hints on this (see post 25#) by indicating what type and use of equipment warrants how you code it. Its your call to determine the potential danger. If you feel certain sockets in the installation warrant a C2 then you code them accordingly otherwise the rest would be a C3.
You can then advise the client to what is the best method of rectification should this be required.

Reply to RCD protection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net