Discuss Rcd protection in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ringmain fed by 32A mcb on split board protected by rcd,I'm spurring of ring feeding a underfloor heating system rated at 9A ,I know I can fit a d/p 13a fcu,but do you think its overkill if I fit a d/p 13A rcd fused spur so the heating system has it's own rcd protection ,so it will switch off on fault without losing power to ringmain.

The issue with adding an RCD spur is that there's no guarantee that would trip before the main one, even if the fault were on the UFH (assuming both are 30mA) so it might just complicate fault finding or lead to both tripping anyway...

You could put a 10mA one on for the UFH I guess, but if everything is OK the RCD should not be tripping with any regularity anyway so I wouldn't bother and just go with a good quality FCU.

9A. that's a BIG UFH mat isn't it?

Do you get discrimination with a 10ma, I think you maybe do at less than half of 30

Not much point though you risk creating a nuisance using the 10 on the ufh

the Mersey will flow backwards before you can be sure which RCD will trip.

Reply to Rcd protection in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Evening everyone… I’ve attached pictures for your leisure.. so basically the customer does not have any RCD protection.. 3036 fuseboard is in...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, newbie posting! Does the following sound ok... Existing circuit: SOCKET on a ring -> spur to SWITCHED 3A FCU -> SWITCH -> hardwired FAN...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am at odds on whether RCD protection is required on an SWA of 14 metres, clipped direct under flooring direct from CU to an exterior...
Replies
Views
So here is the thing Rhere is an old MEMSHIELD TPN+E Board that is pretty mich obsolete. The only place that sells their breakers would be Ebay...
Replies
Views
As I've mainly done site work and moved into domestic recently, I'm a bit rusty on stuff like this, but if I'm adding a loft PIV unit to an...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock