Discuss RCD Protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

azza

Hiya People

I am installing some sockets in a room using dado trunking but in order to get the ring from the CCU to the trunking i have had to pass through a wall, im aware that cables buried at less than 50mm require to be RCD protected. The ring willl be suppling computer equiptment and will be lablled that is its only intended use, would i still need to RCD/RCBO this circuit?

In short, yes, you would `if` the cable is concealed in the wall <50mm (or wall contains metal parts)

RCD protection (by RCCB or RCBO) is required for all general use socket outlets, but a relaxation of this is permitted for s/o supplying a specifically labelled outlet for `a particular item of equipment`

but only if RCD protection is not required on other grounds (i.e. cables concealed <50mm)

So, two quite seperate regs to be satisfied there - & not to be blurred into one.

Its then on you to argue whether equipment & installed cables fit definitions for exemption, or not.

IMHO, eclectic PC kit doesn`t equal `a particular item of equipment` - but maybe thats just me :cool:

I would agree with electrical, if the socket circuit is complied of standard sockets just feeding some pc's then RCD to not rcd then you need to be looking along the lines of a special socket and plug set up ie with a t shaped earth pin, you say the wiring just goes through the wall not actualy burried along the wall?

is concealed in the wall ie. less than 50mm the same as passing through the wall

surely you cant hit a cable goin away from you

"is concealed in the wall ie. less than 50mm the same as passing through the wall?"

No, it isn`t

"surely you cant hit a cable goin away from you"

Bet you could if you really tried :D

But, as you alude, cables passing thru a wall & those concealed along the wall are two different things & have different RCD requirements.

Is this domestic or commercial? Things are more leaniant for commercial.
How many computers? If there are several you may end up causing unpleasant harmonics that will need filtering.

Reply to RCD Protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net