Discuss rcd protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rdelectrical

hi guys I've recently installed an saw cable from mains incommer to ccu which moved from old position in a property as i said I've used swa from outside electricity box into loft in bungalow then swapped to pvc 16mm via proper terminations enclosed ran it along onto of insulation in loft away from everything then into trunking in hallway cupboard in to new ccu this was brought about because firstly i came thru from outside into zone in kitchen up a zone properly chopped in and capped came up where extractor was to be we agreed before no vent and steel splash this was so i didn't have more than a metre of metre tails going up wall the diy ers decided when installing cooker hood to remove cables from skt outlet which fell under vent hole they dug them out then chopped a 2 brick hole found buried 16mm took off capping thought it was cooker cable proceeded to cut and yes they blew main fuse i got call being accused of **** work so i installed the above swa to which they now are saying is wrong now i know I'm right does anyone agree sorry its a long post i would usually just have run swa all way to ccu without changing but the diy ers wouldn't pay and i didn't want to leave the elderly couple who they where doing it up for without power they basically want cable back where it was i refused as theres now a huge hole where it was cheers for your answers and patience
rich

Fill the hole, Put the cable back where it was, add the required rcd.
Now the swa is a longer run have you put in a switch fuse? If not that maybe what they are saying is wrong.

what i meant was due to old consumer unit being moved due to new kitchen i ran 16mm pvc from mains income cupboard outside through wall which came out in 2 zones it went up wall 50 mm deep in capping vertically behind cooker hood run was about a metre then into loft across then down trunking to new board the 16mm was in zone with skt outlet to plug in hood which would be behind the vertical vent cover the people doing the kitchen knew it was there agreed to use grease filters and not vent outside as vent would be higher than the skt for hood they after id gone dug out ring main for hood along with 16mm cut a 2 brick hole for vent leaving no where for cables to go then cut mains thinking it was cooker cable with the intention of reconnecting themselves when it went bang i got blame so as to try to help i had no choice to but to go in swa outside upto loft height then back in and swapped back to 16mm pvc they now are saying this is wrong i believe I've done it correctly as it was in first place

That now makes better reading.
Tell them what you have done is fine (personally id have binned the t/e and just used swa) and invoice them for repair work.

cheers not clever i told them they should pay they refused i didn't want to see old couple without power so hence only used swa for short run besides ccu is plastic mad thing is i didn't want to run the the cable inside in first place as i don't like long metre cable runs especially in wall but they didn't want swa cable outside the very thing they ended up with they wanting cable back in wall after they dug it and cut it thinking it was cooker cable i refused point blank and they destroy it yourself ers and may do it again they said been onto niceic but to me it was right first time and is right second time

I'm trying to catch me breath after reading that.(full stop).(twice)

But what is your question?

I don't understand how they blew the company fuse? Why did the RCD you installed to protect the buried PVC cable not operate first?

And how did you get around the requirement to not have the whole house on one RCD?

What protection have you installed for this distribution circuit?

the original ccu was located just the other side of the wall from the mains box due to new kitchen a new ccu in same place would have ended up low level inside kitchen cupboard which the cupboard is pull out type so had to be moved so i installed new metre tails 16mm pvc pvc cable 50mm in wall and capped they dug it out because wanted to put vent in wall assumed was cooker cable it ran up wall in zone into loft and to new position for new duel rcd board i didn't add rcd for this circuit as its a distribution circuit i believed at 50 mm in wall capped was ok they now disagree because now have swa on outside and want original put back but because they dug out a vent in its place can't happen

I hope you used 3 core SWA from the DNO cupboard, or 2 core with an additional suitably sized earth conductor and Didn't use the steel armour of the SWA cable as your main earth??

no i used 3 core i even earthed the armouring which is what i wanted to do in the first place they just upset cos now cable is on outside they was going to cut cable and reconnect without telling me

I've ran the pvc 16mm in loft on top of insulation away from rest I'm wondering if i should do something with that in case they go in loft armed with cutters

The cable would need to be deeper than 50mm to not require RCD protection. But you cannot cut a chase that deep into a wall as the building regulations (part A I think) do not allow this.

Have you installed any OCPD for this cable or is it directly connected to the meter ?

The 16mm PVC cable you have used, is it T&E or is it tails?

what is ocpd I've terminated swa in cupboard outside where main fuse is then from henly block metre tails to metre and terminated earth and armouring in henly block then 16mm earth to met

thanks dave sparks didn't know about the building regs bit 50mm deep just about went through breeze block i really wasn't happy with it going this way as wanted to do swa way in first place but you know how it is when pricing customer wants what they want

Reply to rcd protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock