Discuss RCD Quandary. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
basically, done a EICR for rental. 12 way wylex with 3871 MCBs, no RCD at all, so a few C2's and C3's. ideal world is a new CU with RCBOs, or even a dual RCD board. landlord won't pay more than necessary as it's a short term let and due to be demolished as soon as he gets planning for 2 houses on the land. upfront RCD would get rid of the "fails" on the installation, but 1 rogue circuit and the lot is dead. what would you do?

Not that.

Either upgrade the consumer unit, as it could well be a long time before the property gets demolished, and the law is the law, and it cannot be let with C2s.

Or maybe (assuming RCBOs for this board are not available) run the circuits that need RCD protection through a separate enclosure with RCBOs in it.

be hard enough getting the tight-arse to pay for an upfront RCD in enclosure. mention RCBOs and he has a heart wallet attack. the upfront RCD would get rid of the C2s so would make it safe for use, but non-compliant regarding division of circuits.

I hate fitting dual rcd boards but if the property is to be demolished in a few months time I would be inclined to by a second hand rcd board off eBay and fit that as a very temporary fix

you can pick up a dual rcd board for about 30 quid second hand

your customer probably won’t like my Labour charge for doing it , but if it’s an easy swap then you can bill him half a day

be hard enough getting the tight-arse to pay for an upfront RCD in enclosure. mention RCBOs and he has a heart wallet attack. the upfront RCD would get rid of the C2s so would make it safe for use, but non-compliant regarding division of circuits.
You asked what we would do.
If the owner is unwilling to pay to comply with a legal requirement, I'm off down the road to the next job...

Even temporary supplies need to conform.
That’s what this would be.
Landlord spends the money, or he’s failed in ensuring the safety of his tenants.

he might be better not letting it out, and just wait until it’s demolished.

A completely different way of looking at it - One day when he has new houses built (which he claims is soon) he will need a new consumer unit with rcd and probably spd protection to get past building control. No reason I can see that it can't be removed and preserved when demolition occurs.
Granted the labour costs of a board change are higher than an up front rcd but he has to suck that up as he's a landlord and responsible for his tenants safety.

landlord won't pay more than necessary as it's a short term let and due to be demolished
So if it is necessary to fit a new CU then that is only paying for what is necessary. What does this landlord consider is the price is safety if an incident occurs and the legal bods appear a new CU will be the cheaper option

right then it's £450 for a new CU, add my time and effort, another £300 - £350, end of the day, it's less than 1 month's rent.

if the guy is penny pinching just sling in a cheap screwfix special duo rcd board or buy one off ebay

if the guy is penny pinching just sling in a cheap screwfix special duo rcd board or buy one off ebay
think that's what he'd go for a 13 way BG dual RCD board. but then he'd want it refitting in 1 of the new houses. not my problem. i'll be out of the game by then (assuming i'm still alive enough to be fed Theakstons by straw).

think that's what he'd go for a 13 way BG dual RCD board. but then he'd want it refitting in 1 of the new houses. not my problem. i'll be out of the game by then (assuming i'm still alive enough to be fed Theakstons by straw).
In all seriousness I'd rather fit that £80 delight than nothing at all (once the knock-outs have been removed with dynamite)

them rear knockouts are a gem. i finf a 2lb hammer and a sharp cold chisel the easiest.

Don't trust any landlord that says it's going to be a short term let, the amount of paperwork and certificates needed to rent out a domestic property now days make short term letting very unprofitable, its so easy for a Landlord to say "Oh there was some planning problems" and two years later they still have not been resolved, don't get suckered in, it's your signature on the EICR.

Reply to RCD Quandary. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock